1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

check signal cable

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jomac, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jomac

jomac Thread Starter

I have an AMD 900mg which is two years old. I had a DSL connection where I used to live but I moved to another town and DSL is not available so I had Optimum installed. This was done while I was at work. When I returned home in the evening the Windows menu was up and everything looked fine until I tried to use the computer. I could move the mouse but when I tried to click on an icon to open a program the screen froze. I waited a few minutes then used the task manager to shut down the computer to try rebooting.
    When I tried to reboot all I got was a black screen with the message "check signal cable". I have checked all connections and boards. Everything is tight. No bent pins either. I tried replacing the video card with a brand new one but nothing changed. A co-worker has suggested it may be a battery problem. Would a dead battery cause this to happen? Or could it be jumpers from being moved?
    I have had the cable company come back and check their connections and they say all is fine. Is it possible the installation of their program and connections caused a problem?
    I use my computer to do extra jobs from home so I'd really appreciate any help to get it up and working again asap.
    Running Windows 98.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

I dont think with a dead battery you would get a check signal cable, but this is one wierd problem, never heard of anything like this happening b4. so you tried checking all the cables huh? i dont think the cables are damaged, i dont know what to tell you, this is something i've never seen b4.

3. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

Had any luck with the Problem???

4. thib4

thib4

have you tried a different monitor

maybe starting in safe mode will do it so you can reset your video settings
    start in safe mode by tapping f8 while booting

maybe try this first

also try to unplug the power cable from the computer and wait a few minutes and plug it back in then try turning it on

5. zephyr

zephyr

If all else fails, thump on the monitor and see if the old shock test works. I think it may have went south.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to check all cables again since the installer was moving things around.

The message is common when no video is being delivered to the monitor but since you replaced the video card and done a cable check, wiggle, etc, it looks more like the monitor all the time. If the video input circuit fails in the monitor, it gives this same error. A substitution with a known good one is the reliable test as thib4 has suggested.

Forget any battery problem, that isn't possible.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice