1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Check this out......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by X_Gamer7, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

My dang video card....it works good, but its a hassle to keep it like that. Well, I got it to stop showing the green lines by pushing down on the corner of it, as stated in my previous thread. To make it short, who wants to hold the corner of it down with their finger while trying to do stuff? So, I "invented" with my smart little mind a way to hold it down. I call it "wooden rod". Yes, it works. Yes, it's ugly. Anyway, here's a pic of it:
    [​IMG]
    Hahahaha, its great. Anyway, I have a problem with keeping the memory chips cool. Sometimes they get so hot (like when trying to run 3dmark03) that the card will stop responding :0. It almost burns my finger to touch them. Well, I did get 4 of the 8 chips under control with my other invention of the "old heatsink = new ram coolers" Yea, I cut up my old celeron heatsink, slapped some thermal paste on the RAM, and walla! But, I shouldnt have to do this, and the other ones are still scorching. Do you guys think there is a problem, and if so, how do I fix this? I was thinking its the power supply, it came with the case. It's only 350 watts. If you guys think I need a new power supply, I'm on a tight tight budget. $30 to be exact. So no dang Antec TrueBlue500w! hahaha
    Thanx,
    -X

P.S. My inventions ARE copyrighted!!! :)

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Is that a $50 Deep Impact Heatsink?

Why not take some electrical tape and round out your drive cables. Maybe a slot cooler would help.

3. brite750

brite750

Copyrighted....dang I was gonna sell that wooden stick idea to newegg. From the picture it looks really crampped in that case, might just be the cpu hsf is the size of a bus. A good quality psu for $30 is though look on newegg under Coolmax i think the have some 400w for $38 range.

4. WarC

WarC

If the card will not operate at stock speeds with stock cooling, then you should exchange it. If it's out of warranty it looks like your out luck, past putting RAMsinks on every chip w/ some good thermal compound (the adhesive kind!) like Arctic Silver.

I notice you have at least one chasis fan. Make sure you have efficient cooling. You want good ventilation with equal amounts intake and exhaust, you should try to clean up the wiring in your case as already suggested.

5. Rockn

Rockn

And the poer cable for your Heat Sink fan is sitting right on top of the video card. If it is as hot as you say it it, it may melt the insulation from the cable. There are also heatpipe VGA coolers you can buy for your video card.

6. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

thanks for the help you guys. I will organise my cables tonight. I was thinking that the card is getting hot because of the power supply. O well, I just bought an antec truepower 330w for $35, so I guess i gotta stick with it. We'll see what that does.
    Gotrootdude: yes, that's a deep impact heatsink. no, its not $50, I paid $35 for it.
    Thanks,
    -X

7. brite750

brite750

Hell, the hsf probably draws 300watts by itself :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice