1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Check this scenario~

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jizzmack, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

I got a hard drive that I wanna replace in one pc and move it to another.

The First pc is a gateway 500 mh P3 64mb ram with a 6.32GB HD capacity :)( ) . Which I am gonna replace with a 120GB Western Digital HD as listed for sale on the forums screen to the right. I am a DIY kinda guy and love to learn new stuff with PC's.
    The old hard drive is going into an old pc That has a AMD-k5 processor 32 mb ram I think either 166mh or 133 (can't remember,btw where would one go about finding this ?) also I am trying to figure out how to enter the Bios in the older pc with no luck. I know it's something like the hard drive out of the newer pc that is getting the 120GB HD (the 6.32) has to be compatible with the Bios right? The older pc is running Win98 bare bones with 32mb ram and a 632MB hard drive!lol! Needless to say it runs not very much soft ware at all. There ain't but a sliver of the pie left. Also I wanna upgrade the memory .There are two slots available by the other ram on the mobo. From reading, best I can figure is to bring in a stick of the old ram and ask for some of the same as I have no internet connection with that pc for obvious reasons and can't check out that web site that sells ram and runs that diagnostics to tell you what you got and what you need.

It may be a problem though as I gotta order it online probably because I live in a smaller city. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading ~

2. mobo

mobo

To enter the bios just press the del key on the very first black screen on bootup..Also you may want to partition that 120 gig drive into 4 partitions for ease on the 98 system.

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

For everything you ever wanted to know about your PC, and them some.
    Download the Enterprise System Information version of aida32.exe
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

When you do the drive swap, you could also move the 632mb HD down a slot and set the jumper to be a slave drive. That way your "new to that pc" drive will be the master as C: and the 632mb will be the slave drive as the D: drive.

Once you have all your files set up the way you want on the C: drive you can either just delete \windows on the D: drive or wipe everything with a format. Granted, 632mb isn't much, but you could place your swap file, temp folder and Temporary Internet File folder over on the D: drive and have the C: drive run both cleaner and faster.

As for how to get into your BIOS, it varies from pc mfg to mfg. AS the pc first starts to boot up watch very closely and you should see a message as to what key to hit to get into setup. In this case, setup = BIOS.

4. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

thanks for the info. I am digesting it. was wondering though if there is anyway to tell if old pc is gonna be compatible to the "new old" hd.

also how can I find out what kind of mobo I got on the old pc .

I can't run that aida32.exe of a floppy on my old pc. For some reason it won't work.
    That old mule is caring alot of weight I think .Maybe he knows what will break his back and is being an ***!

5. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (<SP97_V>)
    STANDARD CMOS SETUP
    AWARD SOFTWARE INC

that is the BIOS of the old pc . How can I find if the HD is compatible with this?

6. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

To follow up on Mobo's comment on partitioning, I would definitely recommend partitioning a drive that large!! In fact, I personally would prefer two 60 gig hard drives to one 120. When the HD goes bad, and eventually they will, there is less you lose.
    Additionally with two partitioned hard drives you can set up a partition on each to contain a Ghosted image of the other. That way you can replace a hard drive and be back up and running in under two hours.

IF you want to stick to one 120gig HD I would recommend partitioning it something along these lines.

C: (active partition) 2 to 3 gig for your OS Keep it clean and lite.
    D: 20 gig for programs
    E: 20 gig for "My Documents"
    F: 15 gig for what I generally call "Base Programs" these are all the programs that you have downloaded from the internet. By keeping a base installable copy they can be replaced without too much trouble. (Keep them updated with the newer versions)
    G: 30 gig Multimedia files
    H: 30 gig TBD (whatever you want)

Also think of it this way, the most you will ever have to defrag will be 30 gig.

7. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

are all HD's PCI HD's? Also what does PCI and SCSI stand for ?How can I tell if a HD is compatible with my system? I used and great stuff BTW! Thing is I can't get it on my older pc so I don't know what's up with that one. I wanna see if the ATA-Maxtor hard drive is gonna work in the old pc. Other wise I'll just set the new one up as a slave. Still I want some more storage than 656MB on the old one . Wanna up the memory too on the old one.

8. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice