1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

check video cable connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cassie69emt, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cassie69emt

cassie69emt Thread Starter

Ok I thought I could figure out what was wrong but to no avail . My kids have our other computer to work on and play games ,it was working fine ,no problems what so ever,than we shut it down . When we powered it back up all I get on the screen is check video cable connection. I have made sure all connections and cards are securely in place. Is there something else I can do short of buying a new monitor. We are running windows 98 se on it .No it is not hooked to the internet either so no way of getting virus or such.
    Thanks Cassie:eek:

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Make and model number of the computer and the monitor needed to help you.

3. cassie69emt

Hp Pavilion 6640C tower and the monitor is a Hp pavilion M 50.

4. erick295

erick295

The model or make isn't really that important...

Try the monitor on a different computer. I'm assuming that you have thoroughly checked all connections as you stated. If it does the same thing there, then you probably need to replace the monitor. If it works, then your video card (or motherboard if you have onboard video) is probably bad.

This is definitely hardware related. No software issue can cause the video to not work during the booting process.

5. cassie69emt

Ok I think it is possessed because after hooking the tower to another monitor and finding out that it works I hooked it up to the old monitor and belive it or not the old monitor worked . I don't know why but I do know that I have unhooked and hooked it back up numerous times prior to my posting this question. My next question. Is this a indication of the monitor going or something else?
    Thanks for your help
    Cassie

6. erick295

erick295

It could still be either the monitor or the computer, but it's more likely to be the monitor. It's not unusual for problems to come and go, especially when you're moving things around. I'm sure this isn't the last time you're going to see this, but you may be okay for awhile. You can really only effectively diagnose something like this when it's happening 100% of the time, because otherwise you never know if you've found the guilty component or it's just decided to work again :)

7. steveb1492

steveb1492

So in other words, if it happens again, wack the monitor. If that doesn't work, kick the tower:D .

8. cassie69emt

Ok I thougth everything was fine BUT I decided to put more memory in . I shut it down and unpluuged it after installing the memory I plugged it in adn tried , yes that s right TRIED to turn it on to no avail. YEP I did as you said and wacked it a couple of times it mad me so mad:D . My next question is as long as this is not working and if I decide to upgrade everything what kind of expense would I be looking at and how diffucult is it?I would like to get at lest a 2 to 3 ghx processor adn at least 1 gb of memory if possible and use the old tower.
    Thanks Cassie

9. accat13

accat13

My only comment forget the old tower, anything new you buy will need proper ventilation and this tower will not provide it.....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice