1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

checkdisk utility error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by hayleyg01, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayleyg01

hayleyg01 Thread Starter

hello every1 :) i am using a samsung r510, about 2 yrs old now. during my 1st year, while still in warranty, i had to send it back to samsung who replaced the hard drive. up until now, the computer has been working fine, till this morning... i turned it on as usual, entered my password, and waiting about 2mins for it to decide weither or not to let me on. after the password screen went away, i was faced with a pure black screen. i waited a minute, then turned it off with the power button. after turning it back on, i got an error msg stating to run checkdisk utility. i am not the best with the computer, and wondering if this means that my computer is about to die??? any1 know what i can do to help save it? or where to find the checkdisc utility? or am i just gonna have to buy a new hard drive?? :( i am currently backing up everything (music, films and pics) it does seem to be going fine now .... but for how long?? any help is MUCH APPRECIATED. thank you! Hayley

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    If you switch a PC off without closing windows - this chkdsk will often be run - so the reason you saw it was because you powered off without shutting windows down
    This can be run by rightclicking on your C drive - tools tab and you you will see an option to run chkdsk - the PC will reboot to run the program

is the PC starting OK now ?
    it may have been a 1 off occurrence or maybe an indication of software or hardware issues - its hard to say if the harddrive is the problem

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice