Checking computer usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Scott912

I just returned from vacation and a relative was watching my house while I was away. I need to find out if they used my laptop while I was gone. I have a Toshiba laptop that is running Windows XP. I have not turned on the laptop since returning home. What is the easiest way to check if it has been used. If it has, I would like to know the dates and times, ect. Please give detailed instructions. Thanks.

why don't you just look at the history . most computers are set to keep it 20 days. it will tell you what websites were used and what day.

Scott912

I dont believe they got on the internet. I mainly want to check if they booted the computer and looked at personal files/programs.

sure there is!!!!

navigate to your "recent" documents and see what was accessed.

when i go to mine "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Recent"

it lists everything I opened or accessed

if the person was smart enough - they may have deleted the files under "recent"

i will add that this wont show if they read e-mails or things like that.

Scott912

Thanks everyone who responded. I thought of a way to check. I went to start, then to search, then all files and folders and searched by the dates I was away. Nothing found between dates I was gone.

DoubleHelix

Banned
That just means that the person didn't change or create documents. It doesn't mean the person didn't open documents.

bleepster is right in that you could look at the Recent folder. That doesn't cover apps like Quicken or Money (if you have them installed).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online