Checking CPU/Mobo temp while in game?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tacocaster

Hey all, I have PC Wizard installed on my computer and it lets me know just about everything I've ever wanted to know, but it doesn't let me know my CPU temp while in game. Is the only way to do this to minimize the window and look at it or is there anyhting else I can do? Games in question are HL2 and CS:S. Thanks in advance.

Couriant

James
I don't know if HL2 closes if you minimize like Final Fantasy Online does, but CTRL and ESC or the Windows keys should bring you back to the Desktop (Well Start Menu, then click on teh Desktop in QuickLaunch if you have it)

Tacocaster

That is what I was thinking. Most likely the easiest solution. My system dles around 30 degrees and floats around 32-35 under a light load. I think the highest I've seen it is 40 and that was immediately after exiting from HL2. From what I understand, these are very acceptable temperatures.

Tacocaster, you could always download prime95 and let it work on your machine using the large fft tourture test. I haven't found a game yet that heats up a CPU more than prime does under torture. Especially large FFT torture. There are some games that will equally heat it up, but I haven't found one yet that heats it more. Keep the processor under 50*C and you will be fine, 55*C is really pushing it.

Lunchbox, you have an Athlon XP. The kill temp on an XP is 85*C. The max temp on a San Diego core is 65*C. That is quite a difference.

my cpu temp is at 35c right after playin CS:S for almost an hour. the only thing that takes a hit is my graphics card which overheats rather abnormally... it eats it after like 5 minutes of playing and i get artifacts. but i pointed a house fan at it and all is well. i gotta see about replacing it though

Tacocaster

in3rt!a said:
my cpu temp is at 35c right after playin CS:S for almost an hour. the only thing that takes a hit is my graphics card which overheats rather abnormally... it eats it after like 5 minutes of playing and i get artifacts. but i pointed a house fan at it and all is well. i gotta see about replacing it though
How many and what kind of fans do you have? Brand of the 6800GT?

FYI you can run Source and HL2 in windowed mode. This will allow you to see your temps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online