1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

checking ethernet connection speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by raz, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raz

raz Thread Starter

Hi guys

We have a windows NT network supporting around 20pc's

is there an application or a way which i can tell at what speed the pc's are connecting to the network?

I need to prove a point that the network is running at 10mbps and not 100mbps as assumed by the top dogs

There's a drink in it for you guys if you can help me out

Cheers

Raz

2. Rikku

Rikku

Hmm, does NT have an option in the Network Control Panel to put an icon in the System Tray which shows your connection speed? All other MS OSes do...

Otherwise, does the Network Card on the back of the workstation have a light to show 10/100?? Or the switch usually has a light which changes color depending on what speed you're running....

Or it could be that your Network cards and/or switches/hubs are only capable of 10baseT. Look up the model # for either and see if that's the case.

I'll check my NT server in the morning if no one else has responded here....

3. raz

raz Thread Starter

Thanks Rikku

Our win 2k clients have got them in the systray but i can see to find them on Win NT4 clients

Help appreciated
    Raz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice