checking external hard drive power supply

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vallipow

I have a 3.5" external hard drive that requires a (round) 5-pin power supply adapter. I lost the original, and bought a new one from an electronics manufacturer. The plug fits the slot, but I am not getting power to the drive and no signal is reaching the PC.

Without buying another power supply (the one I bought was hard to find - I had to go online and find a parts supplier, and I don't want to return it until I know what the problem is), how do I check to confirm whether the external drive is working, or that the external power supply and the drive are properly connected?

crjdriver

IMO it would be much easier to just buy another enclosure and pull your drive out of the one you are using now. Install it in the new enclosure; good to go.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online