1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Checking for a healthy hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rpndt1, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rpndt1

rpndt1 Thread Starter

Is there any (free) software out there that can check the health of my hard drive. I want to set up a dual boot system but I wanna check the physical integrity of my drives first. My secondary hard drive is a 4 year old 120 gb western digital. The reason I ask is that every once in a while, i hear small clicks which I think are coming from that hd. It hasnt happened in months but it has started up again today.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    clicks off the HD can be a problem
    you could run scandisk or chkdisk and see what it finds

manufacturers have tools to check out there harddrives - but I think most test will overwrite the data

3. killah

killah

i use the ultimate boot cd to check HD's, it has diagnostic test for all the hd manufacturers on it, with no data loss :)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I have that CD - is there any particular test you run or are all of them non-destructive on that CD

5. killah

killah

just the HD diagnostics, choose the name brand of your HD, and run the diagnostics from the menu...I have not seen any programs on there, diagnostic wise, that erase data...but definitely pay attention to what your doing, as I have only used the ultimate boot cd now for a few weeks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice