Checking for a healthy hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rpndt1

Is there any (free) software out there that can check the health of my hard drive. I want to set up a dual boot system but I wanna check the physical integrity of my drives first. My secondary hard drive is a 4 year old 120 gb western digital. The reason I ask is that every once in a while, i hear small clicks which I think are coming from that hd. It hasnt happened in months but it has started up again today.

etaf

Wayne
clicks off the HD can be a problem
you could run scandisk or chkdisk and see what it finds

manufacturers have tools to check out there harddrives - but I think most test will overwrite the data

i use the ultimate boot cd to check HD's, it has diagnostic test for all the hd manufacturers on it, with no data loss :)

etaf

Wayne
I have that CD - is there any particular test you run or are all of them non-destructive on that CD

just the HD diagnostics, choose the name brand of your HD, and run the diagnostics from the menu...I have not seen any programs on there, diagnostic wise, that erase data...but definitely pay attention to what your doing, as I have only used the ultimate boot cd now for a few weeks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online