1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Checking multiple e-mail accounts

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by plejon, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

I'm using Outlook 2002/XP on WinXP

My company has 3 seperate domainnames registered for different brand names we use.

Customers can get information by sending a mail to [email protected] or [email protected].

When a mail arrives for a particular brand, I want to reply with that brandname in the "reply to" of the e-mail.

To that extend, I created three e-mail acounts in Outlook which connect to the mail server on the corporate LAN. When outlook send/reads mail, it seems to open the three accounts at the same time. This seems to be causing timing problems for the mail server. Sometimes, all three mail accounts will send/receive correctly. Sometimes, one or two will fail to send/receive. In the last case, Outlook reports that it is sending/reading for three accounts, while the mail server sees only two accounts connecting.

I suspect that Outlook tries to connect the three mail account at the same time to the server. Since this is causing a timing problem, is it possible to get outlook to check the three accounts seqientially, starting the connect for account 2 only when account 1 has finished sending/receiving mail ?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I have never used Outlook but have it on here ... How did you setup your account. Was in in Outlook or Outlook Express?

3. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

The full outlook version included in office XP

4. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

Nothing special in the account setup.

Each individual account works fine. Only when outlook connects the three accounts at the same time do I get an error

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

see in OE you can set them that way or individuals w/ passwords etc....
    as if the whole family had accts..

in other words you could set up 1 & then in another log on is 2

6. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

I see what you mean, but this would not be a very practical solution. I don't want to log in as a different user each time I want to send a mail.

Right now, I have a dropdown triangle next to my Send button that allows me to select which account I will be using to send the mail. (and consequently which reply-address will be displayed to the mail recipient)

Outlook and Outlook Express seem to handle mail differently. On my old Win98 PC with OE, it seems that the three e-mails account are checked sequentially. The second one doesn't start until the first one is finished. The full Outlook XP version on my XP machine seems to check all three accounts at the same time. Sometimes, account number 2 or three finish before account 1 is finished.

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

its just a means to separate accounts... all three could be the same except for the # difference as in your e-mail accts.
    But thats in OE Not Outlook...so. back to the drawing board

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Supposedly, Outlook 2002 is supposed to check the email accounts in the order which they are listed in the Email Accounts setting in the Tools menu item.

The only thing I can think of is to try increasing the server timeout period in your account settings.

9. Topazz

Topazz

I don't have Outlook but in Outlook Express I have set it to check and send/receive just my main email account instead of all of them each time.

When I want it to check the others I manually choose one at a time from the drop down list in Send/Receive on the toolbar.

Surely Outlook has an option to do this somewhere so that you can manually choose your second and third account to send/receive. After all, Outlook is supposed to be Express with more bells and whistles, isn't it? Have a look anyway.

10. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Is outlook dumping all the emails into the same inbox or is it putting them into different ones?

If they are all different Inboxes, then click on the inbox that you want to get and then press shift + f9. This will check just that one account.

11. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

1) I already tried the server timeout before, no joy. Problem remains.

2) Outlook does check the account in the correct order, but different then express :

Outlook
    - opens account 1 for syncing
    - opens account 2 for syncing
    - opens account 3 for syncing
    - closes 1
    - closes 2
    - closes 3

Express
    - opens account 1 for syncing
    - closes 1
    - opens account 2 for syncing
    - closes 2
    - opens account 3 for syncing
    - closes 3

this is the essence of the problem. Outlook tries to open account 1, 2 and 3 so fast, that the mail server seems to be unable to handle the seperate requests.

I guess it's back to the drawing board. I'll concentrate on the mail server for the moment. Maybe it has some setting how it handles simultaneous requests. Outlook doesn't seem to offer a solution

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice