1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Checking Windows Updates are installed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by TOGG, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

I finally got round to installing IE6 SP1 so that I could install some of the recent Critical patches affecting IE and Win 98. Naturally, since I got IE6 from a year old magazine cover disk, I went to Updates to get the latest Critical Update for it.

To my surprise, the Update site insists that I also need the 7th March 2002 Security Update for Win 98 (q313829 - MS02-014 bulletin). I have not been offered this old patch on previous visits so it would appear that the IE6 installation has triggered this requirement in some way.

Whatever the reason, I thought I was up to date with all my 98 updates but perhaps not. The History on the Update site doesn't go back far enough and this particular patch doesn't show up in my AIDA32 updates list nor in the Qfecheck.exe list in Windows itself. This is 'only' a Moderate risk problem and I don't want to get into any difficulties by installing the patch twice if I don't need to.

Is there another way to check which patches are installed or might have been superceded by later ones?

2. Cinders

Cinders

Hello Togg,

I also finally decided, yesterday, to install IE6 SP1 on my Windows 98SE pc.

I downloaded the install from Windows Update. I was not advised to install q313829 MS02 014 but I was advised to install a heap of other updates which I did, apart from KB831167 which I was unsure about, as it said this needed to be installed if problems occurred after installing KB832894, connecting to websites and password issues. I have not encountered problems so have left well alone for now. Still not sure whether I should install or not.

As for your query, have you checked your downloads by using Belarc, this may give you the info that you require.

Hope you get the answers that you need.

Regards

Cinders

3. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Hello Cinders,

Strange that we should both decide to get IE6 on the same day!!

I got the 832894 patch and then went to the only secure site I use regularly, had no problems with it and so assume I shan't need 831167 either.

I was offered 30 plus Recommended updates after installing IE6 but most were language options and stuff I didn't want or need like DX9b, .NET Framework, OE6 and VML Rendering, whatever that is.

Very odd about this 2002 patch. I have d/l'd it (not from MS because it didn't work) but haven't installed it yet. I used to have Belarc but got rid of it because I thought AIDA was superior (and still do).

4. Cinders

Cinders

Hi TOGG,

I think AIDA is far superior to Belarc as well but I suppose you know that AIDA is not updating any more.

Just thought it might be worth a try with Belarc.

I have just noticed that we live fairly near one another, I live in Exhall, Coventry.

We must have been thinking alike at the weekend

I also did not bother with the 39 updates offered, language/DX9b as I don't need them either.

I hope someone can advise you about the 2002 patch.

Regards

Cinders.

5. Cinders

Cinders

Hello again TOGG,

My apologies, I have just looked at the software forum and saw all of your posts re AIDA.

Cinders

6. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

If you read all that stuff you will know that you can still get a free version of AIDA/EVEREST from http://www.lavalys.com/ I don't think I will need one because this box is 6+ years old and is unlikely to get updated!!

Going back to IE6 and the aftermath of installing it; have you noticed any problems with cookies since you got it?. I have had to sign in here at every visit and I now have a small icon at the bottom right of some web pages which, when clicked, tells me certain cookies have been blocked.

It could be something to do with the Opera browser I have recently started using but I hadn't noticed any problems until after IE6 got installed. There definitely seems to be an issue between IE6 and my Window Washer cleanup program. Previously, when WW ran, it automatically cleared IE History etc. The last couple of times I ran WW my computer froze at that point and I had to restart.

7. Cinders

Cinders

Hi TOGG

I also have the little icon at the bottom of some web pages that gives information about blocked cookies.

I think this is an IE6 thing that has something to do with your privacy settings in Internet Options. I remember seeing a dialogue box telling me that this icon was blocking certain cookies according to my privacy settings. I have not had to sign in at every visit. My user name and password has been remembered.

My privacy tab is set at Medium. It may be worth checking what yours is set at and try setting it to Medium, if not already on that setting. It might sort out the Window Washer problem as well.

I take it that you have still not installed Q831167, I haven't as I have not, as yet, encountered any problems.

I don't think it would be anything to do with Opera as that is an alternative browser. I have Mozilla Firefox as an alternative browser and I really like it.

Hope you get sorted. Keep in touch.

Regards

Cinders

8. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Yes, it seems it was the Privacy setting, I vaguely remember pushing it up to Medium High.

At my age I should know better than to 'fiddle' with the settings in new/updated programs or, if I do, to make notes of what I change. Still, if you don't experiment you don't learn do you?

I'm back at Medium now and didn't have to sign in here today so I'll see how it goes. I haven't applied the 'patch for the patch' and won't do so unless I suddenly lose access to my internet savings account!

I have now purchased the Opera browser because I was so impressed with it, although there is a lot to learn to use it to it's full capability. Microsoft can keep patching IE until the cows come home but it seems that it is always going to be risky to use in today's online environment.

Lets hope it all keeps working for us stubborn 98 users who won't/can't upgrade. Did you get your free updates CD from MS?

PS. I haven't installed the 2002 'Moderate' risk patch yet either and I probably won't bother. So many of these patches are overtaken by later, Cumulative, ones and I have lots of security on this box.

9. Cinders

Cinders

Hi TOGG

Glad that altering the privacy settings helped.

No I didn't get my free updates CD from MS. Is it worth sending for one?
    I just downloaded and installed from the updates site.

Cinders

10. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

I think it's worth getting for when/if you need to completely reinstall Windows after some disaster.

It only covers the period to last October but should still save some downloading time after a forced reinstallation. I assume that there will also be a time when you won't be able to get 'official' d/l's for 98 and will have to use sites like Erpmans, always assuming he, or someone like him, will be able to host them.

11. Cinders

Cinders

Thanks TOGG

I will send for one, in case of emergency.

Hope all goes well with you.

Cinders

12. Alwill

Alwill

The Q313829/MS 02-014 patch caused problems and was subject of a thread on this Board at the time it became available; I recall Mosaic1 being an active poster to this thread.

One of the problems as I recall was that it tacked shortcut arrows onto every icon on the desktop. I think that many of the participants in the thread decided not to install the patch particularly in light of the 'Technical Details' information included in MS 02-014 that rated the vulnerablily as "Moderate" adding that the chances of exploitation were remote although under very unusual conditions it could be exploited via a web page.

I was one that ditched the patch which means that every time I go to Windows Update, it is identified as an outstanding critical update; a small annoyance but worthwhile in the circumstances.

13. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Thanks for that Alwill. Strangely enough I saw something about a 'fix' for unwanted shortcut arrows in the last few days but can't now remember where (although I was looking at Erpman's site so perhaps there was a patch for that patch as well!)

What intrigues me is that I wasn't offered the 2002 patch (along with the 30 plus language modules etc.) until I updated IE so it was installing IE6 which triggered this behaviour. I assumed I had installed the patch when it first came out but can't find any proof, hence this thread.

It would appear that this will have to go down as one of those MS mysteries which may never be explained. It does serve to underline the fact that some thought needs to be given to installing patches even when they are described as Critical, which is one reason I would never use auto updating.

One last thing, I am still 'losing' my TSG cookie because I had to log in here again today. I am not going to reduce my Security level any more as it is possible that other programs are contributing to this problem and it is only a minor annoyance.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice