1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Checklist of things to check with new computer

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Gamez_girl, Feb 10, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. Gamez_girl

Gamez_girl Thread Starter

When someone goes to the computer store to pick up there system, what should the person check to make sure the computer is going to be working fine?

2. $teve

$teve

tell them you want to see it working............its your money spend it as YOU want.;)

3. Gibble

Gibble

I'm assuming you mean you want it to be able to run for the software you want to run on the computer.

Look at the recommended specs for the software you want to run, and make sure the computer EXCEEDS them. If it asks for a 1.4Ghz PC, get a 1.6, if it asks for 256MB Ram, get 512.

It may sound like you are buying more than you need, and in a way, you are, but considering in 3 months, if you do just buy the bare minimum you will inevitably buy some new software that demands more and you will want your computer to be able to run it.

If you want to get the best PC for your dollar. Talk to people and find a reputable computer store. Not gateway or dell, something local that doesn't have a lot of overhead.

In winnipeg I go to Computer Avenue and Computer Boulevard, there stores aren't fancy, but the staff know what they are talking about (even though I know PCs inside and out I play dumb to test stores out, hehe) and their prices are MUCH MUCH better than large chains.

You explain to them what you need, and they custom build the PC, it's cheaper, or at the very least you get a much better PC for the same price as buying a name brand. And because you and the sales person picked out each part for the PC individually you know exactly what you are buying. Just because an ad says it has a 256MB video card, doesn't mean it's a GOOD 256MB video card.

4. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

1. Make sure it runs IN THE STORE if it is upgraded or repaired.
    $teve's right. Some hole in the wall places may send you home with a lemon in discuise.
    2. Gibble's right too. When getting a new system, first look at what you will IN THE MID-RANGE FUTURE want to run on it. Many times you can check out software at the same place you get your new computer. Make sure yours will run the most advanced softwatre that you can find in the store that you may someday want. A new computer should be able to run every piece of software in the store.
    3. TSG is a great place to get advice if you haven't purchased yet. I also wouldn't be surprised if more than one of the people here could build you a highly advanced system for less that a medeocre one would cost. (had you asked about 8 years ago, I'd be delighted to fix you up better than anyone on your block, dare I say, your town)

So spell out what your objectives are. also your age (it truly helps) and what you plan to run now (I would guess games, based on your screen name) but also what you might use it for in the future. (college soon? a laptop may be appropriate)
    Price range? Nobody wants to spend more than they have to.

Live long, and prosper.
    LAN

5. Gamez_girl

Gamez_girl Thread Starter

I guess I will be able to paid about $2000 but I now think that a laptop would be better since I would be going to college soon.

6. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I don't know if you have access to a monitor keyboard and mouse, but I use my laptop with a docking station so that whn I come home, I just plug the laptop into it and "snap" I have a full size computer at my fingertips. Already getting power and a phone line. No muss, no fuss:D

I work on one of the new IBM T-30's occasionally, but my travel laptop is an IBM T-22.Right now, I'm working on my Dell ... dude. LOL

Good luck!
    :cool:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice