1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CheckSum error, now PC won't reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lallard, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lallard

Lallard Thread Starter

Hi

I am having a problem with my PC at home. I uninstalled Zone Alarm (v4.5 I think) and it said it needed to reboot to complete the uninstallation. As soon as the PC rebooted, there was a message saying CheckSum error: CPU settings changed, Defaults loaded. Press Del to enter Setup, save changes, F1 to continue. I know very little about the BIOS settings. I did press Del, but I don't know what would have changed so quit without saving. I pressed F1 to continue and Windows XP loaded fine and I installed the newer version of Zone Alarm (v5.1 I think).

Again it said it needed to reboot to complete the installation. PC shut down, but it didn't reboot. Now nothing happens when I switch on. My flatscreen monitor is showing the message: No Video Input. I have tried another monitor and that didn't work either.

I have opened the case and the fan is working, a light comes on on the motherboard (next to the memory), both CD and DVD-ROM drives are working and the hard drive light on the front flashes. The motherboard (a DFI Infinity model, 865PE I think), power unit, processor (P4 2.8 GHz), 140GB hard drive and video card (Radeon 9600) were all installed last April so I am hoping nothing needs replacing. Nothing is overclocked.

I have been using Zone Alarm as my firewall, I have AVG Antivirus and run Ad-aware scans regularly. I also have Spyware Blaster installed.

I have had a quick look on the net and it seems the problem could be caused by the battery, motherboard problems or a virus. I have never had this error occur before and with nothing appearing on the screen I cannot enter the BIOS to change any settings.

Do you have any idea what the problem is and how it can be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

2. norton850

norton850

Good Morning

Try locating the CMOS clear jumper on the motherboard. It's usually located near the flat battery. With the power off (unplugged), move the jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3, the back to 1 and 2. Not all boards have this jumper so it you can't find it post back.

Look in this link under "Motherboard Jumpers"

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

3. Lallard

Lallard Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice :) . I removed the battery and booted up without it (on recommendation by work's IT guy). The PC booted up as normal. A CheckSum error still appears, but I will check the BIOS settings and buy a new battery at the weekend. Hopefully there won't be any more problems.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice