1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Checksum Failure?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ulysses55, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ulysses55

ulysses55 Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I get this message as win98 boots up.

"Checksum Failure"
    "This executable is corrupt! Please obtain a new copy"

RUNDLL32 caused a divide error in module CD_CLINT.DLL at 0167:10020818.

Can somebody tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks in Advance!!

Uly

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

I can tell you what a checksum is, but not how to solve it, unfortunately.

Basically, a checksum is just an extra byte sent with the rest of a signal in the wires of the computer with the answer to a sum to check whether it's been sent correctly.

For instance, if you wanted to send the numbers 1, 2 and 3 down a wire, an extra signal with the number 6 would also be sent. If the numbers 1, 2 and 3 were sent correctly, they would add up to 6 and the processor will say "That's okay, let me have the next lot!" However, if something went wrong, and a 1, 2 and 2 were sent, the total would not be equal to the checksum, and the computer would ask for it again.

It'll be a lot more complicated than that, but that's about the gist of it. By the looks of the error, you're CD_CLIENT.dll file has gotten corrupted, the checksum isn't totalling up and so the error comes up.

I don't really know if this will solve it or not (but it's worth a try!). If you go to "Start > Find > Files and Folders" and search for CD_Client.dll. If you find it, rename it to something else (to "CD_Client_bak.dll, say). Then, go on to your Window's CD, Find the original file (use the "Find" function again) and copy it over to the same directory where the corrupt version is.

Good luck!

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy ulysses55...

Might want to check this out CD_CLINT.DLL...

4. EvileYe

EvileYe

From what I can tell CD_CLINT.DLL is spyware and is most likely the cause of your problem.
    You will need to post a Hijack this Log in the security thread and someone there will help you.

Hijack This can be downloaded from this link.
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Have a read through the security forums for an idea on how it works.

EvileYe.

5. EvileYe

EvileYe

Duh ! I was too slow once again ! Thats the same page I looked at Jedi Master ;)

EvileYe.

6. Corrosive

Corrosive

I got it wrong? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...... ! :D

Still, if the file is corrupted it shouldn't be doing anything too nasty. It'll be a matter of aesthetics rather than of pressing urgency.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice