1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Checkup / Diagnostics

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by txhill, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. txhill

txhill Thread Starter

I have been having some minor issues with Windows XP lately, and would like to ask if anyone knows of any good checkup/diagnostics/tuneup software that can locate and repair problems within Windows XP? Thanks

2. hrlow2

hrlow2

What type of minor problems?May just be a simple configuration setting.

3. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    Just one of the many things you might do is run (from start>run)
    sfc /scannow if you have your windows install disk.That might replace a few missing files.
    To me a tune up entails,disk clean up,removing unwanted programs,shutting off unnecessary startup programs,maybe a defrag after you have deleted and run your sfc .
    I know I'm missing a few items but I can't think of more to do at this time,of course more will come to me after I post this.:)
    And harlo2 is absolutely correct.

4. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    You could also run a chkdsk and view the results in your event viewer.
    I can give you instructions on how to do that if you need assistance.

5. txhill

txhill Thread Starter

the problems that occur the most are: (1) when it comes out of stand by, it goes into a hourglass wait and doesn't load/start.(2) runs very slow sometimes (3) have to restart /shutdown and restart more and more lately. I have run spyware terminator,adware scan/malware scan,scan disk, and defrag...seems to help some but still have the hourglass wait thing a lot.

6. txhill

txhill Thread Starter

one more question: do you know if Uniblue Driver Update is safe to use? pros/cons...etc

7. hrlow2

hrlow2

What all is on your Startup list that might be running in the background?
    When was your last defrag?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice