Chernobyl Virus potential threat on xp?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

djfony

does the chernobyl virus go dead in xp? I am running it now (thanks to this virus) and hopefully it wont explode on the 25th..

I got this virus from the hewlitt packard website and at first it spread like wildfire through a ton of exes. I ran the anti virus prog and I have been able to narrow it down to one folder containing 152 infected files...

Now this is the weird part

This folder does not exist... I turned on the "see invisible ****" feature and still nothing... its location is as follows:

c:/undo/

thats it.. thats the dir with all the infected files in it..

some of the files are:

backup.cab
addreg.exe
cdcopier.exe
dllhost.exe
fontview.exe

now... what the hell do I do now? times running short :(

djfony

Ive already ran that one before.. doesnt do anything to the files..
Im using norton 2002 to work with the virus.

All Im really concerned about is whether or not the virus works in XP

Well I've asked for you some help....this one is over my head

Sorry I couldn't help

Savvy :)

Max19

Account Disabled
Did you format your hard drive before installing Windows XP, or did you just do an upgrade?

I would contact symantec about this. Even go for a phone contact if you can. According to the info on their CIH link, this should not affect Win NT and 2k systems. XP is is built more on that model.

But obviously you are getting infected.

Since CIH goes for the cmos/BIOS -- it should still be feared if it is active.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/cih.html

If you can't get the question authoritatively resolved in the next day or so -- set your system date back to give you sufficient time.
-

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online