1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chew on this one...(if you really want to understand the Tax Cut Proposals!)

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Ol Sarge, Jan 18, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. Ol Sarge

Ol Sarge Guest Thread Starter

+++++++++++++ A Taxing Situation ++++++++++++++

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest & devout Democrats) would pay nothing. The fifth would pay $1. The sixth would pay $3. The seventh $7. The eighth $12. The ninth $18. The tenth man (the richest & a devout Republican) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20." So now dinner for the ten only cost $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still eat for free. But what about the other six, the paying customers? How could they divvy up the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his "fair share?"
    The six men realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being "paid" to eat their meal.
    So the restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so:
    The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings). The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% savings). The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% savings). The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings). The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings). The tenth now paid $49 instead $59 (16% savings). Each of the six was better off than before and the first four continued to eat for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth. "But he got $10!" "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than me!" "That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!" "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night the tenth man didn't show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore. There are lots of good restaurants in Europe and the Caribbean.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia."

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Oh man, that is absolutely precious Sarge. Outstanding. Honestly, if every rational person, Democrat, Republican, liberal or conservative can't undestand that simple example, then we all might as well give up trying to teach anyone anything.

Outstanding Sarge!!!!

PS--I changed the name of the thread to make sure more people look at it. If you want me to change it back, please let me know!!!

Man I hope Rep and eggplant and the rest of the liberals with their constant "the rich get all the tax breaks under the Bush Tax cuts" rhetoric read this article!!! (of course, they won't agree with its simplistic logic because people might actually understand Bush's tax cuts and God forbid people understand it!) ;)

3. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

Hogwash:rolleyes:

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

I still cannot get over this thread. That post by Sarge has to be the single best post I've ever read on this board and I've read thousands. It so simply and eloquently demonstrates how the tax system works and the only truly "fair" way to provide tax cuts.

The reality is when Democrats say the rich don't pay taxes, they are talking about most everyone on this board. Anyone who earns a decent living is "rich" as far as the Demorats are concerned. My secretary who is single and has no other income than what we pay her couldn't even qualify for the renter's credit in California because she made too much money (I know, I did her taxes). Is that absurd!!! The trick that Democrats use and have been highly successful with is that when they say "rich" they know that about 80 percent of the population is going to think they are talking about someone else when in reality, they are talking about 80 percent of the populaiton. They get a lot of votes that way. They MUST have the middle class tax strata to survive so the middle class is included in "rich" by necessity. Anyone that tells you otherwise is lying to you.

Again, if you think there is anything unfair about returning tax dollars in the same percentages as what's been paid (or returning a lesser percentage, but a higher absolute dollar amount to higher tax brackets, which is what the Bush tax cuts do) then read and understand the first post in this thread. It really does explain it very well.

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

What'd I tell ya! eggplant can't argue the logic of it--its simple math. All he can say is "Hogwash". I absolutely love it!!! Wait till you see the liberals squirming like worms in a dead body!!! ;)

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Yes it is--a nice little beach town in South Orange County. I like to say I live "behind the Orange Curtain" ;) Funny that wherever you have neighborhoods composed of hard working successful people they almost always turn out to be Republicans or conservative Democrats (certainly not liberal). Instead of being rewarded for hard work, these people are villified by liberals as heartless and selfish even though they bear the lion's share of the tax burden. Conversely, whereever you see pockets of social cancer, where habitual welfare recipients and drug addicts and child molesters call home, they overwhelmingly vote Democrat [well, at least those that come for the free meal offered by the Democratic polsters! ;)] These people are seen by liberals as "victims" of a ruthless society of selfish and heartless SUV driving conservatives. Talk about your Hogwash!!! :confused:

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

You know it Sarge--I spiked the ball and got called for 15 yards for taunting eggplant and Rep. after the touchdown!!! ;)

8. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

A visitor from Holland was chatting with his American friend and was jokingly explaining about the red, white and blue in the Netherlands flag. "Our flag symbolizes our taxes," he said. "We get red when we talk about them, white when we get our tax bill, and blue after we pay them."

"That's the same with us," the American said, "only we see stars, too."

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Now that is precious Sarge......... ;)

10. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

Love the example Sarge! Have never seen anything quite like it in all my studies. :)

11. BTex

BTex

enjoyed the post sarge heard somthing similiar on the radio the other day

over here on the right coast

12. Deke40

Deke40

I will be sure and pass this on to all my Democratic friends. Maybe they will quit harping on me to come around to their way of thinking.

Here is some good info,although it is 3 years old, I am sure the trend continues.

http://www.ncpa.org/oped/bartlett/oct1899.html

13. SyscoKid

SyscoKid

14. Deke40

Deke40

15. combsdon

combsdon

......hmm, If you don't like it ....change it.......worked in Florida... :eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice