1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chinese charactors replace western letters

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lordbase, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordbase

lordbase Thread Starter

I am an English guy living in china.

I am running Win98 (Chinese Edition). For some reason, every now and again, I will get an email from friends, in which some of the letters have been replaced by the equivalent Chinese character (my friends are using the standard English version of Windows). For example if someone writes "how are you?" I might get "How are 有?" (if you can't see that, I mean that I get the Chinese character for the word "you".)

This hasn't been a problem up until now, but I recent got a piece of software to help me learn Chinese and I find that almost all of the western letters are transformed into their Chinese counterparts. I have tried the software on a non-Chinese PC before I came out here and it should display the western letters, not Chinese characters.

Can anyone give me any advice as to whether this problem has a solution, or whether I will just have to bin this bit of software?

Thanks

LB

2. lordbase

lordbase Thread Starter

So I take it that no one has a clue what I am talking about, or how to solve this issue? :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice