1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chipset and Memory speed capabilities

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lvmonkey, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lvmonkey

lvmonkey Thread Starter

Hello. I'm relatively new to learning about the hardware aspects of pc's. I'd like a little bit of insight from anyone regarding my inquiry.

Based on my research from on Intel's website, the chipset that my motherboard comes with is the Intel G33 (http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/g33/g33-overview.htm) and it says the memory support of this chipset is "Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory Support"

Does this mean that I can install DDR3 memory modules in my machine even though the documented motherboard specs (see below) show only DDR2 ? I'm curious if I can replace my existing DDR2 PC-6400 memory sticks with DDR3 memory sticks to take advantage of what this chipset is capable of? Or is it possible that the motherboard will limit the chipset's capabilities?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I recently purchased a HP D5000T desktop and according to the specs of my customized order, it has the following components and their specifications:

Front-side bus (FSB)
    • 800/1066/1333 MHz
    Chipset
    • Intel G33
    BIOS features
    • Keyboard combination to used to enter BIOS: F10
    • System BIOS core brand: AMI
    Memory
    • Dual channel memory architecture
    • Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
    • Supported DIMM types:
      • PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
      • PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
    • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
    • Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
    • Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
    • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A lot of the newer Intel based boards can support either DDR2, DDR3, or both - but only one type at a time.

If your HP documentation only lists DDR2 as being supported then HP has decided to implement the board with only DDR2 capability and its a wise move. DDR3 is expensive and offers little to no gain at the present time in real world environments.

3. lvmonkey

lvmonkey Thread Starter

Great to know. Thanks for the response!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!