1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chipset Stupid

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jwaldrich, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwaldrich

jwaldrich Thread Starter

I am upgrading from an AMD 850 Thunderbird processor to a 1.8 AMD Duron processor and as the title says I am "chipset stupid".

Do I need to update the chipset?
    What does the chipset do?
    I know it is tied into the mother board but I do not know how it interacts/works/it's purpose.

Are there any "pitfalls" in this upgrade that I need to be wary of?

Thanks.

2. zupadupa

zupadupa

The chipset controls the features and abilities of the motherboard. Basically its two separate chips that control all of the communication between various things on your motherboard like ram, processor, BIOS and many other things.

The only time that you upgrade the chipset so to speak is when you buy a completely new motherboard when getting a new CPU and other components that wont work with your old board. The only time you would "upgrade" is when you are updating the drivers for the chipset in windows (aka your mother board drivers). Make sure that you motherboard can handle that 1.8 Duron. Best bet is to look in the manual and if not then check the manufacturers website.

3. jwaldrich

jwaldrich Thread Starter

Thanks. It is a little older PC that I built several years ago and gave to my son. It is an AZUZ mother board but I don't remember which one now and I doubt he still has the manual even if I did remember to give it to him
    Thanks again for your help.

4. zupadupa

zupadupa

You're very welcome. If anything just pop open your case and take a look to see what is written on the board. It should be written somewhere on it. Oh, make sure to ground yourself as a safety precaution when doing so.

I cant remember if there is program that will sepcify what board you have. I know there is one for your CPU, but not sure about the board. If I find one I will make a post.

5. zupadupa

zupadupa

I guess I never paid attention, but this little free program will show you the name of you board. Just extract the files to the desktop, and double click on the cpuz icon and then go to the mainboard tab. Here is the link:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice