1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chipsets & motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by remaja, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

I'm trying to know more about AMD based Mother boards and Intel based MB.

can AMD Based MBs use ATI Video Cards?
    Can Intel Based MBs use Nvidia Video Cards?

ther reason I asked Is because I saw a MSI mother board that has chipsets from Nvidia. and If I want a video card from ATI will that be a problem?

And I heard that Nvidia Video cards lean more towards AMD boards.

thanks for any help

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yes to both questions. I have a nVidia chipset MB with an ATI video card. And I also have an Intel chipset with a nVidia board. This system is running an AMD X2 dual-core with an ATI video board.

3. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

thanks alot. that's really good news.
    I have other questions about HD and RAM but I will post a new thread

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

On point that might be worth mentioning:

If you have an Nvidia chipset, you can't use ATI's crossfire, and with an ATI chipset you can use Nvidia's SLI.

5. photolady

photolady

SLI and Crossfire are built into the motherboard, so it would make more sense to say, you can't add an two Nvidia cards to take advantage of the SLI if your motherboard only support ATI's Crossfire.

6. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

Call me dumb but I'm not really sure what you mean

7. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

your saying that SLI and Crossfire are intergrated cards. right?
    and that if there are intergrated cards in ATI motherboards We can't use Nvidia cards?
    I'm confused

8. Jones

Jones

No. SLI and Crossfire are dual-card setups. (Two card slots on one mobo) What they are saying is you can use nVidia or ATI cards on a Crossfire motherboard, but can only use matching nVidia cards on a SLI motherboard.

9. photolady

photolady

Jones is correct. You can use either/or, but only one at a time; however, if you intend to take advantage of the feature either SLI or Crossfire, you can only use two of the same manufacturer's cards, not one of each, Nvidia and ATI.

And SLI and ATI as Jones also pointed out are not integrated video cards, they are integrated PCI-Express "slots" on the motherboard.

10. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

that's something new I have never heard of two card slots in one mobo
    why would we need it wnyway?
    would it enable us to use two monitors

I'm really new to this

11. Jones

Jones

Theoretically, it's supposed to give much better performance in games and intensive 3D applications. So far, the benefits haven't really proven to be worth the huge price tag based on the reviews I've seen. You'll likely find that all the high-end motherboards will have either SLI or Crossfire technology very soon, and that you won't really be able to get away from it. Not to worry though, if you can't afford two cards like most of the rest of us, the boards will work just fine with one card.

12. photolady

photolady

And Jones is correct again. But you'll only see these in the PCI-Express version motherboards, and only those with SLI or Crossfire capability.

13. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

PCI-e is really a great step from AGP and PCi. will PCIe take over all AGP and PCI slots on mobos in the future?
    For one thing, I don't see any disadvantage of PCIe compare to PCI and AGP so why don't all mother boards change to PCIe now?

14. photolady

photolady

Because they are fairly new. And there are still plenty of AGP cards floating around out there, the Mobo 754 socket kind still use AGP slots, or most of them do. Not many PCI cards out there now though, and in a year or two, I doubt one will be able to find one of those, except on ebay. Eventually, all mobo's will have PCI-e capability.

15. Jones

Jones

I agree. If you're building a completely new system, PCI-E is the best choice. If you're upgrading an older system and want to keep some of your old components, you may have to get an AGP board. For example, as photolady mentioned, the socket 754 boards use AGP slots, as do socket 478 boards. If you have a nice processor that fits these sockets, your best choice for a graphics card is still AGP. If you go with a newer processor socket, you're way better off getting a PCI-E board. PCI cards are pretty much the slowest, worst performing cards out there right now, but for users who have no AGP or PCI-E slot, it's all you can do.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!