1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chkdisk destroyed some data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lostdatastressed, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lostdatastressed

lostdatastressed Thread Starter

MY 320GB Western Digital HDD was giving me trouble and I was not able to access it, so I ran Chkdisk on it, after running this when I accessed the HDD I found that almost all of the files were deleted, the files that were not deleted are not working/opening. I have some important data like irreplaceable photographs, videos and documents in that HDD. How can I recover the data? Even now when I try to access the data, I get F:/ is not accessible, Access is denied. (OS is Windows 7), When I booted the system through a USB with Linux, I can access the same HDD and see the files as Chkdisk left them. How do I recover this? Please help

2. dai

dai

using the linux disk for access drag them to where you can store them,once done

try taking ownership of F

run the wd diagnostic on the hard drive you should have done this before running chkdsk

running chkdsk when there is a problem with the drive,can put you in the position you are now in

running the drive check first,gives you the opportunity to save in case chkdsk goes askew

3. lostdatastressed

How do I take ownership of the drive? Should I try to run wd diganostic now?

4. dai

dai

5. lostdatastressed

Did the back up with linux

Ran WD diagnostics

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
    Model Number: WD 3200BEV External
    Unit Serial Number: WXE808JFH158
    Firmware Number: 1.05
    Capacity: 320.07 GB
    SMART Status: PASS
    Test Result: PASS
    Test Time: 07:31:28, January 30, 2013

Windows not permitting access

F:\ is not accessible
    Access is denied

What do I do now?

6. dai

dai

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Were you able to access the files using linux?

8. lostdatastressed

Dai .... already taken ownership of F:

Crjdriver .....yes I can access the files using linux ..I have already done a back up of the files

9. lostdatastressed

Dai .... already taken ownership of F:

Crjdriver .....yes I can access the files using linux ..I have already done a back up of the files

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you check some of the files to be sure they are valid?

11. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

I presume you have a stack of .CHK files. Do you know how to view a file and recognise the filetype from the header of the file?

For EG: .JPG files have a JFIF in the first dozen bytes.

You can rename those files to .JPG and open them in an image program to see if they look ok.

Files that start with MZ are .EXE files but you may not need them. That would seem to be the way you have to proceed here.
    You could write a VBS program to locate JFIF and automatically put a JPG extension on the .JPG pictures.

There are programs that sniff the header of files and you could use one to help rename the filtypes - I'm afraid the filenames themselves have gone...

12. lostdatastressed

Elvandil ... I checked the files and they are not valid ...most of the data in the files is gone

Foxidrive ...Yes there are a bunch of .CHK files, unfortunately I don't know how to recognise them

I don't know VBS ..not so computer savvy I just wing it thanks to google and forums like this, not really worried about the file names, I need the files themselves, I will try to use your suggestion of renaming the files. Meanwhile, Windows is not allowing me access to the drive, I will use the backup that I have to make another copy of the files and then try to rename them.

13. lostdatastressed

Hi

I checked the .CHK files and found that there are about 340 folders of these files, I have managed to go through 40 of the folders. The file names are intact and have not been changed, the extensions are still the same, the music files still work but the photographs are all damaged. I cannot open any of them, some of them show up on the icon but when I try to open it doesn't. I still have to go through the remainder. Now Windows will still not allow me to open the drive.

My query is How do I retrieve the data

Thanks

14. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

It's sad to say that people don't backup their important files until they have their first experience with lost data.

Files are saved in chains of sectors, and often scattered all over the hard drive. There are huge numbers of sectors. They can become crosslinked and files get corrupted - fat32 formatted drives were more susceptible to this. This happens when a machine plays up and reboots or when it's not shut down properly. Anyway, if you renamed the appropriate CHK files to JPG or TIFF or whatever file format they were and it doesn't display - there's not a lot you can do.

15. lostdatastressed

I read somewhere that there is a software called filechk and file unchk will that work? If I send the drive to professionals will they beable to resolve the problem? The Drive is NTFS

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice