1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CHKDSK Found Bad Sectors...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dino7, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Thank You!
    You say back the data up. What do you feel is the best and simplest way to do this? Do you use Online backup services?
    I'm confused about the different types of back ups or restore options? Are we talking about creating a system image, partition, or just general back up of files/folders in the case of a hard drive failing? A new hard drive can fail in 5 minutes if too much demand is placed upon it is my understanding. You could fry the hard drive doing the back ups themselves. Don't wanna go there...
    For my desktop I have Recovery discs and I also have a Repair disc..Somewhere in the pile I have a Boot disc and an Emergency ISO backup disc, But I've never used them.
    In this case what should I be doing and how? Any clarity on this subject will be much appreciated.
    Have a pleasant evening.
    Best, raphael

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Since the drive is failing, the fastest way to back up is to copy your files to another drive.

3. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

What do you know about MOZY by Dell? I have two external hard drives, CD-R's, and a 8GB usb flashbar on hand.
    I know you can back up files from two computers to one external hard drive, But I've avoided doing that due to uncertainty of losing or misplacing information some how in the process.
    What you say?
    Tx, Raphael

4. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Just use copy and paste.

Johnny-be-Good likes this.
  5. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

Simplest is to an external drive or CD/DVD media.
    I don't use online/cloud backups. IMO, too slow and security isn't to my liking.

Data backup in this case can be as simple as a copy and paste.
    System images are the backup of the OS partition which you won't be doing since it's already corrupted.

So long as a new hard drive isn't defective or overheating, backups are a non-issue.

Because your desktop OS is licensed to that particular hardware, it won't be 'Genuine' nor legal on your laptop.

Hope that makes things clear :)

John

6. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Thank You!
    Believe it or not there's not much on this notebook that I don't have elsewhere..another computer.
    Microsoft didn't seem concerned..just use slui 4 and enter the 25 digits after the new hard drive is in place..its activated presently and working decently. They seemed concerned about pushing the hard drive too much and causing it to crash while doing these backups??!
    The previous hard drive was a WD Scorpio Black 1600BJKT-75F4T0 7200 rpm SATA 160GB and the one in it now is a Toshiba MK2546GSX 250GB capacity 5200 prm. Originally Dell included a 5,400-rpm 160GB hard drive that's protected by Strike Zone technology for storing documents, photos, music, and video. http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/latitude-e6400/pd
    Wondering what would be the best hard drive to put in it's place?
    Your thoughts please...
    Best, Raphael

7. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

"Grandma's Computer Repair Clinic" (lol)
    Here is a possible solution to your nagging computers problems

8. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

I've had good results with both WD and Toshiba drives.
    Since you don't seem to need a large drive, you might consider researching a SSD. Supposed to speed up a computer. Never tried one,myself.

John :)

9. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Alright the truth finally comes out. I'm not sure how this is done? It's easy enough to remove the drive and replace it. What are the typical steps after the new drive is in place? :confused:

10. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

Good morning Raphael :)

Because I'm an old codger and set in my ways ( :D ) there is likely a more streamlined way, but my way is still simple :)

A freshly installed new hard drive needs to be formatted.
    Whether you want one partition or two is up to your preference.
    With a small drive you probably want/need only one.
    New drives often come with or there is access to factory apps that will do this, but I like GParted which you can download here:

http://gparted.org/

Burn it to a bootable CD and run the app from the CD/DVD drive.
    It's GUI is easy to follow.

Once formatted, you're ready to insert your Microsoft install disc
    and install the OS.

Follow the onscreen directions and the rest is merely watching the install and making a few choices.

Once installed, the OS needs to be updated.
    If you run into problems here, one of the TSG experts will have to help you. Since I'm using Linux exclusively online and my frustration with the current method of MS security updates, I no longer update my MS operating systems other than MS essentials antivirus and Malwarebytes just in-case something 'nasty' in the way of a document or new software tries something nefarious.

Along with the customary security apps, now is a good time to install MS's EMET. It's a free download.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2458544/the-enhanced-mitigation-experience-toolkit

Hope that helps.

11. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Thank You John!
    I'm not certain how this entire process will unfold as I do not have access to any Microsoft Install Disc. Microsoft suggested I use the slui 4 to activate Windows once the hard drive is installed/ready for the OS. (see attachment).
    That'z all i know at this moment.
    Lets see what other input is shared and I do have a local friend and technician that I plan to speak with at some point soon.
    Bottom line! I feel the need to learn this process cause it is so common and can be very costly time wise and bank account wise of which the funds are limited...
    Sincerely, Raphael
    Wiindows Activation.jpg

12. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

If funds are an issue, presently....perhaps it's time to consider that Puppy Linux option if only out of curiosity.
    You wouldn't need a hard drive to test it and your only cost is a CD or DVD and some invested time.

At the least, you'd have a system to fall back on in emergencies when/if Windows gets infected/corrupted and won't boot.

You can download Puppy here:
    http://puppylinux.org/main/Download Latest Release.htm

There are several versions.
    I've been running Puppy SlackO 5.7 for several years and like it.
    A new 6.3 version is now out and sounds pretty good.

There are other 'Live CD' distros here:

http://livecdlist.com/

13. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

I have NOT read all of each post in detail there are two many
    However I have read that you say - on another chkdsk the bad clusters have not increased

HOWEVER on your opening post the reported chkdsk says

so as you can see on that chkdsk it did add 1872 bad clusters
    There was also errors found in the MFT - master file table
    you may consider that to be the index of the drive by which windows finds the relevant details for any operation, as it tells the OS where to look on the drive.
    That is in very much simplified terms

Therefore IMHO that drive is in danger of failing good style at any time
    BACKUP however you do it of your important data is vital
    and anything except the aforementioned simple copy and paste is likely to tip the drive over the edge

14. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Thank You!
    Believe it or not there's not much on this notebook that I don't have elsewhere..on another computer.
    Microsoft was concerned that doing a complete backup could cause it to crash, To my surprise the tech said and i quote: "your drive might be good for another year."
    In the past as I mentioned before somewhere. Any amount of bad sectors as many as ten would be concerning.
    I'm not certain what is referred to as "important data?"
    Before MS helped with this matter I tried several times and the back up would not go past 28%. windows would pop open and asked me to put in another clean disc which I did, but it wouldn't go any further than 28%. This was using the Windows Backup feature. What is the best way in this case to be using as a Backup app/feature?
    I haven't tried it since MS activated the OS..Seems like a catch 22 to me.
    Please advise.
    Much appreciated.
    Raphael.

15. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

important data is data you want to keep
    re drive might be good for another year - there is no definitive answer to the question - when will the drive fail.
    If there is not much on the notebook that you do not have elsewhere then simply save what you do NOT have elsewhere

How you attempt to save it is up to you
    I have already suggested, as have others the best method

I am unsure what you refer to by clean disc - backing up a drive to DVD is unworthy of the effort

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184899