CHKDSK is taking along time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

videocheez

I have been having troubles moving some files and copying some files from one of my Maxtor 5000XT 250GB external hardrive. I am now runningchkdsk /f /r h: and it is taking a long time to complete. In fact I almost think that it is hung up. chkdsk continues to read that it has replaced bad sectors in number of files and it but it is not yet not yet completed. So far I am up to file #106 and it's been on that file for 5 hours. Does any one have guess as to what may be going on.

Thanks in advance,

cheez

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If it's finding bad sectors, that's a real bad sign! I'd pick up the disk manufacturer's diagnostic and run it on that drive...

Do you have any other scanning software, like Norton Utilities or Partition Magic to double check? I had a drive that did that and I ran Norton's Disk Doctor and it has been kicking for about 7 months.

videocheez

How can you explain this. I finally gave up and reformatted the drive. After refomatting I ran chkdsk again and this time chkdsk said that there are no bad sectors. I xferred on small file to the drive and then moved it back off with no problems.
I now want to try to recover some of the daa from that drive. Does anyone know of a good, freeebie if possible program that can recover data from formatted drives.

Thanks for your help so far,

VC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online