Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHKDSK problems

1K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Good Day,
I hope you can help me.

I have been having terrile problems with my lap top. Programmes stop responding repeatedly. I have done all sorts of virus checks: Norton, superantispyware, uniblue to no avail.

I then tried to do a back up copy so that Norton could take control of my computer to see if there was a virus. I repeated had problems with this: no programmed for this action. After buying a new atand alone hard drive and trying agin I still was unable to back up. Eventually I loaded Macrium and this came up with this:
Click start,
CMD
RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
chkdsk/r/f

No matter how many times I run this it get to:

CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5) ...
16 percent complete. (177952 of 247024 files processed)

Then freezes.

I am at my wits end. Just do not know what to do. I have spent hours researching but I am afraid to do anything too drastic becaused I am a novice and don't want to make matter worse.

Please can you help me?

Thank you,
Lin
CHKDSK

See less See more
#2 ·
What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of your laptop?

What Windows version(XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, 10) and bit number(32, 64) is it running?

Have you been using any registry/file "cleaner/booster/optimizer/tune-up" type programs in it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
Thank you for your response.

My windows version is windows 7 and the bit number running is 64.

As far as registry file cleaner I have used Uniblue and Norton Power Eraser. However, I think I only used these after I was having problems with programmes and email not responding and computer reacting very slowly. I could not connect to internet using Safari or Google so removed them. All I have at the moment is IE.

I hope this is helpful. If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask however please be aware that I am not very competent with IT.

Thank you so much for your time and effort.

Lin Kirby

#10 ·
Toshiba Satellite C660D-1HK 15.6" Laptop
It appears it sold in the U.K. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I don't recommend that you attempt to upgrade it to Windows 10.
If you're hoping the upgrade process will override and resolve the issues, that's not going to happen.
And you also may be left with a non-working laptop.

It may be time for a reinstall of Windows 7 and a fresh start.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#14 ·
If you have no idea what you're doing, then you need to get someone who does to help you.

I'm not familiar with doing a factory restore in Toshiba laptops, but this appears to be how you access the factory restore partition in it:
Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then press the computers power switch.
When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen will appear.
Follow the directions from there.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#16 ·
There are ways to prevent Microsoft from downloading the Windows 10 files in your computer or nagging you to upgrade to Windows 10, but you need to know what you're doing.
We can only do so much from here. You need "hands on" help.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.