1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chkdsk /r

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ragedy, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ragedy

Ragedy Thread Starter

I recently had a virus and have an error of "Unmountable Boot Volume" when starting my computer. I googled it and found out that if I type in "Chkdsk /r" Into the recovery console it will fix it. But I was unable to find out whether chkdsk /r effects any of my files on the computer. Will this delete them or keep them untouched? Or is there any other way to fix my problem without losing my files?

Thanks in advance,
    Ragedy.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Chkdsk /r may or may not fix the problem, but it won't affect your files.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

4. flashsnaps

flashsnaps

Hi,
    chkdsk /r will not delete any of your files.

Once in Reocvery console - type these commands seperately
    chkdsk /r
    fixboot
    fixmbr

and let us know how you get on

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Chkdsk has been known to make files unrecoverable. The main cause seems to be a faulty partition table which causes chkdsk to "repair" the drive by completely destroying all the files that the drive contains. You can usually tell when that is happening because chkdsk will list 100's of repairs. If it looks like it is "repairing" the whole drive, you should stop it if you have data to be recovered. Based on faulty partition information, chkdsk will go through the drive systematically and ruin every single file.

Chkdsk has done some amazing things for me, but it isn't perfect and data loss can occur. It should be noted that it is rare, however. But, since you have all your important data backed up, that should not be a problem, right?

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

It is a faulty fat or mft. Check disk does not destroy files even it that sometimes appears to be the final outcome. What it is doing is comparing file allocation entries between the copies of fat/mft. You can have crosslinked clusters where two files claim the same space. You can have lost allocation units which is where no file owner can be found for the cluster(s). Chkdsk recovers these by turning them into files. The /r switch also tests the read/write of a cluster and if found bad will mark it unuseable in the fat/mft.

Will chkdsk /r delete your files? No
    In correcting disk errors can files become unusable? Yes
    Will chkdsk correct your inability to boot? Doubtful

You would in addtion to chkdsk run the utilities fixboot and fixmbr from recovery console.

7. Ragedy

Ragedy Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Ran a chkdsk /r. Turned off by itself when it got to about 60%, and now won't start at all. Any chance someone could shed some light on this?

Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice