1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CHKDSK "volume is dirty"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tja, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tja

tja Thread Starter

My computer is a Dell Dimensions 3000 and my OS is Windows XP.

I have had something I've never seen happen . . . when I turn on my computer, I get the message:

"Checking file system on C:
    The volume is dirty.

CHKDSK is verifying files (State 1 of 3)...."

It continues to check other "stuf" (indexes, security descriptors). Once it completes a check of security descriptors, it speeds up and then I can log in. The computer seems to work OK. (I don't know where to find a log of the CHKDSK process).

I've checked the forums and read a variety of postings on this issue, but there is such a variety of discussion on it (and some of it is old) that I'm not sure if there's something I need to do from here.

Note: I have a MagicJack. The second time I got the "volume is dirty" screen, it happened after I turned my computer on & logged in. The computer locked up during the MagicJack loading process (this happens periodically) - couldn't do a task manager, couldn't manually turn off computer, so I pulled the plug, disconnected MagicJack and plugged it back in and turned the computer on. This is when I got the "volume is dirty" screen and the CHKDSK stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice