CHKDSK, Why so Many?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sealevelram

I want to run CHKDSK on my machine, so I am searching for the program.
So far, over 2000 exe files have been found, and Search is still running.
What is going on, and what do I do?
Thanks.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
So far, over 2000 exe files have been found, and Search is still running.
Something funny going on there, I think. I'd like to see that list (or part thereof)

Sealevelram

I can't make a copy because of a problem with my mouse (see another thread), but they say:
chkdsk.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32, or C:\i386, or C:\WINDOWS\prefetch, or variations thereof.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Can you not just run CHKDSK /F or open a command prompt to do it.
Even just booting into safe mode command prompt.

Sealevelram

It appears that my Search program has gone wild.
It is going over the same folders and repeating the search, so it never finishes.
Ever heard of anything like this before?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Actually YES I have.
A long time ago I had a problem where the directory structure was damaged and a file pointed back to to directory and caused a loop.
My solution was to run TESTDISK and get it to rebuild the directories, but no guarantee.

Sealevelram

Can you not just run CHKDSK /F or open a command prompt to do it.
Even just booting into safe mode command prompt.
When I try to run CHKDSK from a prompt, it says:
"CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?"
I did this, and nothing changed. Does this mean that the CHKDSK cure is now exhausted, or did it just check a part of my disk?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Get a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD or any bootable CD that gets you to a command prompt and do it from there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online