1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CHKDSK will not complete running on my Maxtor 5000XT 250GB usb/firewire drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by videocheez, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videocheez

videocheez Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is a coincident but I just recently reformatted the hardrives of my main comp. I backed up a lot of data and programs onto my Maxtor 5000XT 250GBUSB drive.
    I can watch movies and play mp3's from the drive but I can't consistetly move files from the 5000XT to other drives on my system.
    Sometimes a small file will move with no problem other times a 3MB file may say that it will take 10minutes to xfer and it the xfer fails.
    I ran CHKDSK with the following command:
    chkdsk /f /r G:

CHKDSK says that it will do a five step process. After step three says 100%, I get the following message:
    unable to read the security diescriptors data stream

I don't think this is a good message. :(

So then i try to do a defrag. The defrag prog says that it can't run becaus chkdisk is scheduled. I check the system schedule and there is no indication that chkdsk is waiting to run. The defrag prog. also says that CHKDSK will run after I reboot. I reboot several times and CHKDSK never runs.
    I wouldn't be so upset except that I have been using this removable drive as my back-up storage and no I cant reload stuff back to fresh clean main comp. :(
    I have two questions:
    1. Is my drive toast?
    2. If it isn't, what can I do to fix the problem

Thanks in advance,

VC

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/261478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice