1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CHKDSK will not go away,,,help please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sunliner, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunliner

sunliner Thread Starter

I'm working my way through a boot problem and in the process, I requested CHKDSK /r to run. Earlier, I had run chkdsk and it reported a dirty volume, then after running chkdsk /r, it ran for hours but reported everything as 'clean'. It stopped on the 'report screen' and did not do anything for about an hour, so I power cycled.
    Now my problem is this: everytime I try to turn the computer on, CHKDSK launches again, before windows comes up. I let it run again last night but it did the same thing, stopped after the test. So I can't get into Windows, safe mode or otherwise. I looked for a way to kill Chkdsk from the set up area but don't see it. Any ideas?
    It's a Dell Inspiron running Windows XP. thanks in advance
    -Mike

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you interrupted chkdsk, especially chkdsk /r, then you have no doubt caused damage to the file system. You powered off when it was likely in a state resembling an unemptied buffer, where files that were being moved were in the process when they were stopped. That leaves damaged files. The fact that it was the report screen may have lead to minimal or no damage.

But the very fact that it took so long is also indicative of a problem. You should definitely make sure that you have a recent, full system backup. If you don't, it's too late now, but you should make sure that all your personal files are backed up.

Next, run a diagnostic from the manufacturer (or other one - better to try more than one. A bootable test may be best.).

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    Ariolic Disk Scanner (Checks disk for read errors)
    Manufacturer's Tests
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and temporary bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

3. sunliner

sunliner Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I stumbled upon a diagnostic that was built in (I think via hitting f12 on start up?...it was late last night...) and ran every diagnostic tool there...it stated everything passed, including all HD tests. As of the last CHKDSK, everything was clean.
    I'm going to get a SATA/USB cable and see if I can rescue some files over to my 10 year old,slow but functioning other PC for now.
    If you have time, the thread about where all this started is here:http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=1087743&goto=newpost . If you don't, believe me I understand.
    thanks again
    -Mike

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It can't be said enough that you should always have backups. Drives fail out of nowhere, suddenly at times.

You can make full backups of your entire system periodically, or of just one system that is working the way you want it to, and just use that as your "factory restore" so you don't need to start from scratch with a new drive.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

It should be more than obvious that the problem was due to opening the case. It will not be repaired by software until the problem inside the case is solved. It is very easy to hit against something and dislodge it while inside. You really need to check all connections, cables (on both ends), and cards in their slots to be sure (including RAM, by removing and reseating). Then, go into BIOS and make sure all is well (that the right amount of RAM is listed, the drives all show, etc.).

6. sunliner

sunliner Thread Starter

I tend to agree about the original problem since it worked just before the cleaning; however I've unplugged and replugged everything I can see and nothing worked. I'm always careful not touch anything inside when dusting, but I must have loosened or contacted something, my first guess is the video card but it worked earlier in the process when I could get into safe mode . At any rate, I can't get past the CHKDSK deal, so I hosed myself either way. thanks for trying though and will definitely do one of those back up options once I do get straightened out.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice