chkdsk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

suegal42

I have been running chkdsk /f and it continues to find errors, should I keep running it until it reports no more errors? I am doing this to try to speed up the computer it is an older pc that runs very slow. Thanks for any help.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Does it make it to the end? If so, and you continually find errors, it's probably time to think about backing up anything important and buying a new hard drive.

suegal42

it does make it to the end but when I run it again it will still say it finds errors

Chkdsk /f
Fixes errors on the disk (marks bad sectors as bad)
Chkdsk /r
locates bad sectors and attempts to recover readable data there and move it elsewhere . It also implies Chkdsk /f
although the syntax
chkdsk /f /r
is perfectly acceptable.

If after running chkdsk with either of these switches you continue to get bad sectors (Ie you run it again and there are more bad sectors) it is highly likely the drive is failing and you need to back up data immediately and purchase a new drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online