CHM Files Selectively Give "page cannot be displayed" error!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cds333

Hey There,

Was just hoping someone knows wtf is going on here-

Some .chm files, when I try to read them with the default winXP .chm viewer, display the standard Internet Explorer "The page cannot be displayed" error page in the viewing pane. The table of contents is visible, however, just not the page data.

Now, if I copy the same .chm file to my desktop, it opens fine!

This only happens with some of my .chm files, although it is always the same ones- and they always work when I copy them to the desktop, just not when they are in the folders I keep them in.

The data is there, it just can't be accessed for some reason (if I use a .chm 'decoder' to decode the .chm files to .htm format, they work fine; however I don't want to have to mess with a hundred different .htm files just to read a book)

BTW, I have tried changing the filenames with no avail.

If anyone has solved this problem or has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative.

-cds

Try:

Method 1
1. Double-click the .chm file.
2. In the Open File-Security Warning dialog box, click to clear the Always ask before opening this file check box.
3. Click Open.
Method 2
1. Right-click the CHM file, and then click Properties.
2. Click Unblock.
3. Double-click the .chm file to open the file.

cds333

Hey DanO,

Thanks for the info, however I don't get a Open File-Security Warning before I open the file, and there isn't an 'Unblock' button in the properties window for me.

I am running winXP sp2 with no updates installed; I don't know if that helps. And for some reason the files work fine when I copy them to my desktop.

Thanks Again.

cds333

I fixed the problem...

It was a "#" character in the path. All the chm files were in a folder named "C#.NET", and after I renamed it to "CSharp.NET", they all work fine.

FYI, a "#" char in the filename will cause the same problem.

Thanks Devil for the link.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts