1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choice of boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GUSMAN, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hi Guys

The prob is basically, my son keeps unplugging my hard drive and plugging his into my pc, so he can access his downloaded songs and his msn chat etc.

Everytime I come home I have to put mine back on and nine times out of ten he has just turned off the pc at the power button to connect his hdd, so I have to go through scan disk before I can access my stuff.

Is there any way I can make his a slave on the system and then have a choice whether to boot to my hdd or his, it will save disconnecting all the time.

I hope I have been clear

Cheers

Gus

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

THere was a switch on the market for a while, i cant remember where, but if you could find it all it would take is a 5 inch bay on the front.

3. Bruce319

Bruce319

I don't remember but if you set one of the hard drive as Master by moving the jumper at the back of the hard drive then plug it to the end of the IDE cable, then set the jumper on the second hard drive as Slave and plug it to the same IDE cable right below it. When you turn on your computer, it will ask you which hard drive to boot from, if not it will boot up from the Master hard drive but still allow you to view and access the information from the Slave hard drive.

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I take it that you have other items on the IDE channels that are needed,above and beyond just having his be a "slave" to your "master" permanently? Like another hard-drive(your's),DVD-ROM,and a CD burner?

Most any motherboard provides 2 channels for a total of 4 IDE devices.But only one "bootable" hard-drive is needed (and really wanted).It would be much simpler to have his installed (permanently) as a slave to your master.Then have another Windows "User Profile" set up for his purposes.You could then also set up which of your files he would have access to(or be denied).
    He would merely log on to the computer and see his set-up (desktop and tools) and not your's.He'd have access to all the resources that you establish for him to use (programs,etc. from the main drive...,"your's").Just make sure he is saving his downloads to HIS hard-drive and keeping your's clean.

What you are doing now seems like a real hassle,and potentially confusing to the computer.

What Whiteskin was talking about was a drive selector switch.It tells the system which drive is the "main C:" drive and boots to it,when you have multiple drives with multiple operating systems.
    This would also work for your application.
    You should be able to find one at:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com

5. callo182

callo182

I say get a mobile rack.
    You can plug and unplug hardrives easilly.
    all it takes is one key that come with the rack.

6. rockinmale

rockinmale

I believe a program called system commander 7 should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps!
    rockinmale:cool:

7. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies guys I found them really helpfull

Cheers

Gus

8. raybro

raybro

Hi GUSMAN.. Assuming both HDD's are bootable (sounds that way), you can just go into BIOS at startup and switch the drives. Each BIOS is arranged a little differently, but mine is located in the "Boot" section. I select the hard drive and hit enter. In the right pane both hard drives (Primary master and primary slave) are shown. Just select the one you want and hit enter. Exit and save BIOS. I do this all the time as I have bootable primary partitions on both master and slave drives. A minor confusion factor is when you do this, which ever drive is selected as the boot drive will appear in Windows as the C: drive.

Of course, you will have to get your son to go through the same process when he uses your PC :rolleyes:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice