1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

choice of graphics card compatible with the motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by platinumgold, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. platinumgold

platinumgold Thread Starter

Hi, I believe I've had a motherboard failure so I've gone and bought a 2nd hand m/b and cpu combo off ebay to replace it.

The cpu that comes with it is compatible with the motherboard apparently.

Will my ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 Series graphics card be compatible with an ASUS M2A-VM/V-M2A690G/DP-MB and AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ socket AM2 CPU ADA4600IAA5CU 2.4 GHz Windsor dual core CPU?

Any way to find out?

Checked on the graphics card page http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk.../hd-2400/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-2400-series.aspx but it doesn't tell me if it's compatible there.

If compatible, any issues expected on windows 7, or anything I have to do/bear in mind? Will Windows 7 find all the drivers for me, and install them automatically, and if so, will I need to go and uninstall all my old m/b drivers, and any changes in the bios etc I need to do?

Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The motherboard CPU Support page lists that processor as compatible when using BIOS version 0107 or newer: http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M2AVM/#support_CPU

Because you are switching from an NVidia chipset based motherboard to an AMD chipset based motherboard you may have to do a clean install as when Windows detects a significantly different SATA controller it may blue screen on you. But even if it boots, a clean install would be the preferred method and result in better performance and stability.

So where did you hear that your Phenom 9850 isn't compatible with your existing motherboard? The Asrock site lists several Phenom 9850's that are 125W as compatible: http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/ALiveN570SLI-eSATA2/?cat=CPU
    You can check the exact model number against the one's they list.

Don't use some sketchy third part website for such info.

As for the video card, generally PCI-Express cards are backward and forward compatible with different revisions of PCI-Express so if the motherboard has a PCI-Express x16 slot and you have a sufficient power supply they generally will work just fine. There's no video card support list like they have for processors though.

3. platinumgold

Thanks for the reply. Although you got the wrong motherboard. I was using MSI MS7309 / K9N6PGM2-V (DDR2 type 2) with my AMD phenom quad core 9850 black edition when the PC conked out on me.

According to the website http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9N6PGM2-V.html#/?div=CPUSupport this motherboard does not support my exact CPU, which was OPN HD9852XAGHBOX which is the 125W black edition.

Although according to a 3rd party site http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/K9N6PGM2-V2.html it seems to suggest it might be OK but they're not sure?

Anyways, if it does blue screen on me, I'm going to have to use it to build a second PC (I have a spare case) or sell the bundle back on ebay, because I'm not going through the hassle of starting again, what with all my settings and bookmarks down the drain, and hours of installing programs back on etc I'd be better off getting a motherboard bundle that uses an nvidia chipset then? Wow, now there's some homework ahead of me if it comes to that.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry, I just went by what you had filled in your computer specs. You may want add or change that to match your current systems.

I would go by what the MSI sites says, they manufactured the board so they know what works and what doesn't.

An Nforce motherboard, preferably with the same chipset would be your best choice if you want to avoid any serious issues.

5. platinumgold

Ah, forgot about the spec on my profile, now I know what motherboard I first had in this machine! Thanks!

Bizarrely the manufacturers website seems to think that my original CPU I had in there (AMD phenom quad core 9850 black edition 125W) wasn't compatible with it, even though it worked fine for a year or 2 before I had issues with motherboard and PSU. (Replaced both at least once with different models since, and lucky the replacement m/b was the same chipset). Edit, my apologies, it was compatible. Was confused by the OPN, mine was the boxed version with a dif OPN code. HD985ZXAJ4BGH is an OEM/tray microprocessor. HD985ZXAGHBOX is a boxed microprocessor. Mine is the boxed version.

So if I do give this new mobo/CPU combo a try when it arrives, and I get the blue screen, will that be permanent damage to my C drive windows registry etc and irreversibly corrupt my whole operating system, or will it still work if I go on to put another CPU/mobo in there that has the same chipset as you recommended, or will it be too late and will have permanently buggered it up by trying it out with the wrong chipset?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You probably won't corrupt the operating system by trying to boot it on another chipset, it'll likely just give you the blue screen and reboot at which point power off the system. In some cases you can simply run the Windows XP installation and choose to do a repair installation and that can sometimes work but if it does fail then you would have caused more problems.

Things can work even of not compatible, but it may not work properly or cause damage, sometimes right away and other times weeks, months, or even years down the road.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice