1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

choices to make on new installation win xp partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by royindfw, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royindfw

royindfw Thread Starter

i'm installing a new Sata 320GB hard drive and need suggestions on how many partitions I should have as well as whether to make them all NTFS or just NTFS for the windows partition files and fat32 for the others. I'll be copying data from an old hard drive that is fat 32 and some data that is an NTFS hard drive. Both of those drives with the data have only one partition as they are an old 80GB and a 40GB.

2. endfro

endfro

I partition my system drives like this...

Partition 1 - 10gb to 20gb (install OS here)
    Partition 2 - Remainder, put whatever here

The reasoning for this is, in the event that windows up and craps itself, and there is nothing you can do, all data will still be there on the larger partition (2) provided you didnt format it or delete it when you reinstall windows.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd give 50 for the OS and make the rest storage. No need for too many partitions.

Make them all NTFS. It is more stable, less error-prone, and faster on large drives. There will be no problem copying from FAT32. It's just a different storage method, like a drawer vs. a filing cabinet. The files themselves are unchanged.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice