1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chong's Bongs cause Wrongs!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by angelize56, Sep 11, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

Well at least he can clear his mind out those 9 months he's in prison! :D Celebrity doesn't exempt you from the law...unless you're OJ of course! :D Take care. angel

Comedian gets 9 months on drug paraphernalia charges
    Thursday, September 11, 2003 Posted: 2:19 PM EDT (1819 GMT)

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Tommy Chong, who played one half of the dope-smoking duo in the Cheech and Chong movies, was sentenced to nine months in federal prison and fined $20,000 Thursday for selling bongs and other drug paraphernalia over the Internet.

The 65-year-old was allowed to remain free until federal prison officials tell him in a few weeks where he must report to prison.

Chong also forfeited about $100,000 for his arrest on federal drug paraphernalia charges. He'll spend a year on probation after he's released from prison.

His Nice Dreams Enterprises, which made a line of marijuana bongs and pipes, was to be sentenced later Thursday. Under federal law, the business itself can be placed on probation or face other sanctions.

Chong pleaded guilty in May to conspiring to sell drug paraphernalia and pleaded guilty on behalf of Nice Dreams Enterprises, which did business under the name Chong Glass.

The actor's plea came after federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents bought his paraphernalia and had the items shipped to an undercover business in Beaver Falls, northwest of Pittsburgh. Agents also confiscated his company's paraphernalia during raids of "head shops" in several states and confiscated "thousands of marijuana bongs and pipes" in a raid of his Gardena, California, business.

His plea followed a series of DEA raids in February in which at least 55 people were charged with trafficking in illegal drug paraphernalia. Federal officials said the investigation targeted the nation's biggest Internet distributors of paraphernalia.

Prosecutors said Chong was the first person to plead guilty in the raids.

Chong and Cheech Marin co-starred in several films in the late 1970s and early '80s, including "Nice Dreams" and "Up In Smoke." Chong recently had a recurring role on Fox's "That '70s Show."

2. sdc

sdc Guest

you don't even want to get me started on this thread Angel!!

So I will back off! And remain quiet !!

WEBFISH

3. Gibble

Gibble

paraphernalia are not drugs, it's a stupid law.

4. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

9 months??? :eek:

Over sentenced, I think.

Sounds like Sergeant Stan Danko was in on the bust.
    :D

5. Gibble

Gibble

Oversentenced...Ya think?

It's just a freaking bong!

6. pronute

pronute

Actually it's thousands of bongs, and they are top Quality bongs too, some of them go for hundreds of dollars, I have a friend that purchased one of the cheaper ones really nice workmanship, I don't know why Tommy Chong pleaded guilty though, these things are for tobacco smoking right? At leased that's what you have to state when ordering them anyway. I guess the DEA needs founds again, and a high profile case such as this will do the trick.

7. angelize56

More info on this topic! Take care. angel

WASHINGTON (AP) - Federal authorities charged 55 people Monday with trafficking in illegal drug paraphernalia from coast to coast, using both traditional stores and the Internet.

A federal grand jury in western Pennsylvania handed up indictments against 27 people as part of "Operation Pipe Dreams,'' an investigation stretching from Pittsburgh to Phoenix to southern California, Attorney General John Ashcroft said. Another nine people were charged in four grand jury indictments returned in Des Moines, Iowa, under "Operation Headhunter,'' which involved paraphernalia marketed nationwide by distributors in Michigan, California and Texas.

In all, 55 people were named in nearly three dozen indictments returned throughout the country.

Federal law makes it a crime to sell products mainly intended for the use of illegal drugs, including such things as bongs, marijuana pipes, "roach'' clips, miniature spoons and scales. Those charged with selling and conspiring to sell such items face up to three years on prison and maximum fines of $250,000.

A search warrant in the Iowa case turned up more than $2 million in illegal paraphernalia, authorities said.

Ashcroft said the sale of drug paraphernalia has exploded on the Internet, making it easier for teenagers and young adults to buy it. The items often are disguised as such things as lipstick cases to escape detection and are marketed under code names and symbols.

"Quite simply, the illegal drug paraphernalia industry has invaded the homes of families across the country without their knowledge,'' Ashcroft said in a statement. "This illegal, billion-dollar industry will no longer be ignored by law enforcement.''

The Internet sites go by such names as Smokelab.com, Aheadcase.com and puffpipes.com, according to the Justice Department.

The investigation was led by the Drug Enforcement Administration along with the U.S. Marshals, Secret Service, Customs Service and Postal Inspection Service.

"People selling drug paraphernalia are in essence no different than drug dealers,'' said John Brown, acting DEA chief. "They are as much a part of drug trafficking as silencers are a part of criminal homicide.'' (Nice analogy eh! :) )

8. angelize56

Selling drug paraphernalia is a crime and could result in your arrest and the loss of your ABC license. A new law, Section 24200.6 of the Business and Professions Code, took effect January 1, 2003. It says that you – or your agent – know that an item is drug paraphernalia if ABC or any other state or local law enforcement agency notifies you in writing that something is commonly sold or marketed as drug paraphernalia. To protect yourself and your ABC license, you should immediately remove any items of drug paraphernalia from your store. The following items, either alone or in combination, are commonly sold ormarketed as drug paraphernalia. Due to the ever-changing nature of illegal drug activity andthe types of drug paraphernalia being used, there may be other items not listed below:

•Scales and balances for weighing drugs
    •Diluents and adulterants, such as quinine hydrochloride, mannitol, mannite,dextrose, and lactose for cutting illegal drugs
    •Blenders, bowls, containers, spoons, and mixing devices used for compounding illegal drugs
    •Capsules, balloons, envelopes, and other containers for packaging small quantities of illegal drugs. Includes miniature plastic baggies designed to hold jewelry or beads, but also used to hold illegal drugs
    •Containers and other objects for storing or concealing illegal drugs
    •Hypodermic syringes, needles, and other items for injecting illegal drugs into the human body. These are intended for diabetics, but are drug paraphernalia when made available to other customers
    •Pipes made out of metal, wood, acrylic, glass, stone, plastic, or ceramic. They may be with or without screens. Includes glass tubes commonly marketed as abud vase or air freshener. Also includes colorful marking pens which, when taken apart, contain a pipe that can be used for smoking crack cocaine.
    •Pipe screens
    •Water pipes - also called "bongs"
    •Roach clips (small metal clips used to hold burning material such as a marijuana cigarette)
    •Miniature cocaine spoons and cocaine vials.

9. pronute

pronute

Wow, maybe the DEA should go after the manufactures of cigarette lighters, rolling papers, ashtrays, matches, etc.

10. gws226

gws226

Does stealing illegal drug paraphernalia from the houses of sorority girls you do not like count as stealing or count as trafficing illegal drug paraphernalia?

:D :D

(it was a long long long time ago!!)

11. sdc

sdc Guest

wrote down this GWS's IP address SGT. !

He just keeps digging a hole

And write down any other IP Adress of any other felonous perpetraters that are buying tabacco periphenalia!

We will nip this terrible behaviour in the bud!

what? A drunk driver just flew by? 10-4
    ah who cares we want these guys! :D :D

We will have to go pluck each one off of there couches, and take away there munchies !

These guys are a real danger to society SGT.

WEBFISH
    Being nice!

12. angelize56

^ You've been toking haven't ya Webby! :p :D

13. sdc

sdc Guest

don't do that Angel
    ;)

That is how I stay in shape, I do not abuse my body! ;)

WEBFISH
    fitness fish

14. angelize56

:) I figured that! Just teasing the fishman! :D I'm allergic to smoke of any kind...ain't I lucky! :D

15. clskrk

clskrk

I (unfortunately)was into that crap for about 17yrs.
    Fortunatly I quit about 15 yrs ago, and feel so much better about it.
    Now, if the Dr. doesn't give it to me, I don't want it!!! (and even then I sometimes wonder.)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice