1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Choose program" doesn't work in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wgman21, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgman21

wgman21 Thread Starter

When I get an attachment (for example sake let's call it a PDF) and the open option isn't available because my laptop doesn't know which program to open it with: I click on "Choose Program" and the box doesn't pop up to give me the options, it just goes to the last file that I was in. Ex: picture folder, My Documents. Does anyone know why the normal box doesn't pop up ,like in XP? :confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you used a registry cleaner? It sounds like the sort of thing they do when they butcher the registry. Or maybe some other "cleaner".

3. Ditchster

Ditchster

If you right click on the file icon you should see "Open with..." listed - click on that and then select your desired viewing program.

To set a default program for certain file extensions just click on the start menu win logo - on the right of the menu you will see "Default Programs" - in there you can set default programs to run when clicking on certain file extensions i.e .pdf for your previously stated example.

4. wgman21

wgman21 Thread Starter

If that's the case, is there a way to fix it?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

We can try. It involves a number of intertwined registry entries, but we need to start somewhere, so:

Go to Start > Run, and type:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Restart Explorer or your machine. See if that helped. If not, download the atttached "Unknown" zip file, unzip it, right-click the reg file inside and choose "Merge". Confirm the merger when it asks. Restart Explorer or your machine.

Attached Files:

6. wgman21

wgman21 Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas, but they didn't work. Tried em both. Any other ideas?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

The best solution would be for you to restore all those hacked out regitry entries from the backup and then get rid of that program before more problems start to appear.

If you have no backups, well, you should have made some. There is also System Restore that has a copy of the registry from before if you remember when this all started.

8. wgman21

wgman21 Thread Starter

If I already deleted the program that deleted the registries, would the backup still exist? If so, how might I find it? It was Crap Cleaner.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The backups probably went with it. In any case, there is no guarantee that the backups are in a format that can be restored without the program.

How about System Restore? Do you have points from around/before that time?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/850482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice