1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

choose the program you want to use to open this file when click on IE

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by meghan890, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meghan890

meghan890 Thread Starter

I got a virus asking me to buy some kind of virus software. Of course I did not buy it. I ran norton antivirus and malware bytes right away. Norton removed a virus and malware did not find anything. After that when I went to click on Internet Explorer and microsoft word it would ask me to pick a program to use to open this file.

I looked around on this site (tech support guy) and I found a post that said to do this......

"Go here File association fixes for Windows Vista and download the fix for EXE files.
    Extract the enclosed .reg file[​IMG] to your desktop, then double click it to merge into the registry. "

I did that and all seems to be working fine now. My question is how do I know if the virus or spyware are totally gone off my computer.

Do I need to download a newer version of the malware bytes because mine is about 1 year old?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!