Choose the program you want to use to open this file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

csay

Hi, I'm a newbie to this site and am hoping someone out there, who is a lot better with computers than me, will be able to help. I am having a very similar problem to the one discussed here:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/913209-solved-choose-program-you-want.html

Norton removed a virus and now I seem to be having problems opening files etc.

I having a very similar problem right down to the scroll function on the touchpad not working. When I try to open programs from my desktop or from the start menu I get the following message:

Choose the program you want to use to open this file.

When I try to open Microsoft Office programs I get the following:

C:/program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\ Office12\EXCEL.EXE

Application not found.

OR

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel

I can open both Internet Explorer and Windows Live Mail, but they seem to be the only 2 at present.

I have tried your suggested fix - downloading the .exe fix and merging it with the registry. I get the following message:

The keys and values contained in C:\Users\Claire\Desktop\exefix_cu.reg have been successfully added to the registry.

But no change to my problems.

Hope I have given you enough info. I'm not that great at computer jargon so please be patient with me and let me know if you need any more info. Any suggestions and help gratefully received

Thanks
Claire

csay

I have solved this problem - I searched around on the internet and found as you say lots of people seem to be having the same problem. One person said to apply a .REG fix, reboot then apply the .EXE fix. This worked for me, don't know why or how just glad it did!!

FYI I did reboot straight after applying the .EXE fix and this didn't work.

I am so grateful there are people out there like you and forums like this. You are all amazingly knowledgeable and so helpful.

I have run a full system scan using Windows defender and also Norton - they are both saying my computer is clean. I am going to run a few spyware checks etc. aswell. Is there anything else I can do to check all is well with my computer and also to stop anything like this happening again?

Once again thank you so much
Claire

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Please click here to download and install version 2.0.2 of the HijackThis Installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything

csay

I have already run Superantispyware and fixed the items it said I should - should I be really worried now?

Followed your suggestion, results below.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 13:08:50, on 31/03/2010
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18385)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\3.8.0.41\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqToaster.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BluetoothHeadsetProxy.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10e.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Userinit.exe
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Symantec NCO BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\3.8.0.41\coIEPlg.dll
O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\3.8.0.41\IPSBHO.DLL
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\3.8.0.41\coIEPlg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer for HP TouchSmart] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam" update "Software\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateLBPShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\LabelPrint\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\LabelPrint" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\LabelPrint\2.5"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl.exe] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe" /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateP2GoShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePDIRShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector\7.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxWatchTray] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus SX200 Series] C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\E_IATIEFE.EXE /FU "C:\Windows\TEMP\E_SA360.tmp" /EF "HKCU"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_674125AABFE11C21.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send image to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send page to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Send To Bluetooth - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {EC5A4E7B-02EB-451D-B310-D5F2E0A4D8C3} (webhelper Class) - https://register.btinternet.com/templates/btwebcontrol028.cab
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O18 - Protocol: symres - {AA1061FE-6C41-421F-9344-69640C9732AB} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\3.8.0.41\coIEPlg.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_7af0d372\AESTSr64.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
O23 - Service: @dfsrres.dll,-101 (DFSR) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\DFSR.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\GoToAssist\570\g2aservice.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: HP Service (hpsrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Hpservice.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton 360 (N360) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\3.8.0.41\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Recovery Service for Windows - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\SMINST\BLService.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101 (slsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_7af0d372\STacSV64.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TV Background Capture Service (TVBCS) (TVCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\TV\Kernel\TV\TVCapSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TV Task Scheduler (TVTS) (TVSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\TV\Kernel\TV\TVSched.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)
--
End of file - 13586 bytes

Thanks
Claire

csay

Phew - big sigh of relief!!!

I cannot thank you enough for your help and fast responses. You are amazing.

Thanks
Claire

I removed the fake AVE Antivirus trojan from my daughter's Advent laptop using AVG free edition, this worked well as there were 50 asstd infected files in all (Vista 32bit).

However now when she tries to use anything the 'open with ' dialogue box opens. This means she now can't get online as Internet Explorer won't open and she has no software on CD for her mobile internet ISP - '3' network in the UK.

I take it she has to reinstall IE and the ISP software but how can she if everything asks for 'Open with ... ' ? Unlike other posts I've seen she can't download the reg fix.

Please if you can advise how I can solve this and explain to her over the phone in a 'fairly' easy way.

Thanks.

Note - 9 years a member and my first post!?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
What do you mean she can't download the .reg fix? What happens when she tries?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
She could download it from a working computer and copy it to a USB flash drive. Then, simply plug it into the faulty computer and save the file to the desktop.

Unfortunately she has just moved a long way from me and for reasons I can't go into I am unable to sort it out for her.
I suppose there's no other way?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online