1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

choose which one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim Wulf, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim Wulf

Jim Wulf Thread Starter

I have XP Home on drive C: set as primary master. I installed another hdrive with 2000pro as primary slave and it shows as drive F:. I have a standard cdrom as secondary master as drive D:, and a cdrom burner as secondary slave, drive E:.
    When I boot up it goes directly to drive C:. How can I set it up so I'll get a choice of which hard drive I want to open when I fire up the PC instead of it automatically booting to drive C:?
    Thanks, Jim

2. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

You need to get a dual boot program (?). I dont know much about them, but its what linux uses for linux/windows dual boots. It gives you an option of all the bootable options.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Or you can pop into your bios setup and see if you have the option to boot from IDE 0 or IDE 1.

4. raybro

raybro

To expand a bit on Candy's suggestion... In your BIOS, find the Boot section and somewhere in there, both your hard drives will be listed by make and model. In my Phoenix BIOS, I just select which drive I want as the boot drive and exit & Save changes. My daughters Award BIOS has the same thing, but located slightly different. You just have to look for it.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

/\ Thanks! Yes, what he said :D I can do it with 4 drives :D Then all I have to do is remember which drive has what I need on it :D

6. fweaver

fweaver

Boot programs are much easier to use than swapping boot drives in CMOS. I use Boot Magic from PowerQuest. It is part of the Partition Magic software they make. There are several of them available. On boot you get a Menu and you choose the OS that you want to boot. Much easier than entering CMOS, changing settings and rebooting.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!