1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choosing a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by layperson, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. layperson

layperson Thread Starter

Hi, I'm a tech newbie who will appreciate layspeak very much. I want to purchase a new laptop and am getting very confused with the specs. I post a lot of photos onto my blog, tend to open too many applications at the same time, surf A LOT and will like to use my laptop to do simple design work, eg gift cards. I'm thinking of getting a Dell laptop. I am currently using a 7-year-old NEC laptop that lags so much, it's driving me up the wall!

Dell Vostro 1520 laptop which runs on Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB) approx. USD500

Dell Inspiron 14 which runs on Intel® Pentium® Processor T4400 (2.2GHz / 800FSB / 1MB) approx. USD490

New Dell Inspiron 14 which runs on Intel® Pentium® Processor T4400 (2.2GHz / 800FSB / 1MB) approx. USD710

Will the different processors offered make a difference in speed? Is it worth paying USD200 more for the new Dell Inspiron? What else should I look out for apart from the processors, eg, RAM? Please help me make an educated choice.

Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would certainly look for Memory - 3GB will be fine for 32bit windows 7, and you can have 4GB but it will not use it all - or on 64bit windows 7 - it will see all the memory
    theres $220 dollars difference in the prices listed - what is you maximum budget - and would you consider other makes - the US experts here often see excellent deals available in US every now and again - recently a toshiba was at a very low price almost saving $300 on similar models

i would NOT get anything with just 2GB of memory

3. layperson

layperson Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I'm in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Need not be Dell laptop, however, I've noticed that Dell has been most value for money. I'll definitely prefer something under USD700.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice