1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choosing a photo printer....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bites, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bites

bites Thread Starter

I'm about to replace my ancient Epson Stylus 850 inkjet with one of the new generation photo printers. I've had experience with most brands of inkjets over the last ten years and they all have had their problems relating to either reliability or software and often both. The old Epson certainly provided the best images but its quirkiness and long drawn out warmups, ect nearly drove me nuts.

I love my little Canon dye sub for 4x6's but it is beginning to do wierd things, too.... just wearing out. My "all in one" HP sends me around the bend with software glitches probably related to XP, but produces decent images when it decides to co-operate. It has taken to eating Costco glossy photo paper (all sizes) but is OK with Kodak of the same weight.

This new printer will be dedicated to photographic images and I'm willing to spend the bucks for quality. Anybody got suggestions WRT brand, model, etc. Thanks.

D

2. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie

have had pretty good luck for a couple years now with a Canon iP6600d. I think it has been replaced with an newer model. Ink isn't cheap, and you can't use those places that trade your empty cartridge with one they sell because of a microchip in the ink tank itself.

3. caraewilton

caraewilton

Hi. It is all about opinion I guess. Well here is mine.
    When all is said and done, I go with HP. I agree the software is shocking, so I load only the main drivers and ensure nothing else is loaded.
    As for models, I can't help much here as I live in South Africa and we are always about a year behind the states. Rule of them, very cheap is a very bad idea. Very expensive does not necessarily mean best, especially where hp is concerned. I go for the mid price range. I look for for printers that have seperate cartridges for cyan, yellow, magenta and black. Would also consider a pic bridge technology printer where you can print directly off your camera. I have found this works well with most brand camera's excluding sony. Remember, using good photographic paper really makes a difference to what is being printed.
    Epson have some super printers, however according to many of the magazines I read, they don't seem to fair as well as hp and canon when it comes to printing photos.
    Canon probably have the best photo printers, however maintenance, in terms of cartridges, is high!
    Lexmark are truelly the worst! Bad quality and expensive cartridges are the main detractors.
    Those are the best known brands.
    I actually opt for taking my memory card to Q-Photo, where I can print my favourite prints for a few bob. No printer I have has yet to match the quality of their big machines. And long term, I actually think it works out cheaper than printing my own pics.

If I was you, go to each manufacturers site, click on printers and find the printer models that appear to meet your needs. Then google the model numbers and read the various articles on each printer. I find there are a lot of independent reviews out there which will give you a very good idea of what the printer can truelly do:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice