1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choosing a Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by garystan, Sep 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

Hi people :
    I'm looking a parts for my next project. This is on the topic of video cards. I read an article on "How to Buy Video Cards ". Other than the usual bandwidth and number of cores, the recommendation that stuck out was VRAM vs SYSTEM RAM. The article stated that, as a good guide, the video card should have one-half of the amount of System RAM. Which brings me to this question. Windows ONLY allows 3Gb RAM at the most. In my current System, I installed two 2Gb RAM chips (being a Dual-Channel) motherboard. On those terms, I could only use a video card with 1 GB VRAM. That's not much.......... Even if I get a i7-8700 CPU, the System RAM would still remain the same. Most software runs in 32-bit mode. So, that would limit my choices of video cards. With that limitation, I couldn't get a GDDR4 card. I'm thinking in terms of doing heavy 3D rendering in my next build. Any advice ? garystan

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well, that is news to me since I am typing this on a windows system with 16gig of ram.....
    Windows 32bit can address a total of 4gig of ram. That is ALL ram ie video card ram, ram on a raid controller, system ram; 4gig total.

Windows 10 64bit will address 128gig of ram. If you in fact have a 32bit operating system, you should consider upgrading to 64bit.
    Complete bull; I highly doubt you would find a video card with 64gig of ram [provided you were using the max ram in win 64bit.
    If you are intending on using CAD, AutoCAD, etc; go with one of the nvidia workstation cards ie quadro or tesla [if the tesla card does not break the budget]

3. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

crjdriver :
    I'm not trying to be "wise-guy" (being polite). Just the disappointment about the video cards. I'm going to have to upgrade my System. Because I plan on doing intense 3D graphics using Sketchup. I'm looking at an i7-8700 CPU.....and a possibility of an SSD drive. But, still the OS is the problem. Windows 64-bit would work, but 3D rendering software doesn't come in the 64-bit flavor. Only 32-bit. As for games......yeah......... I realize I need
    a faster machine for 3D rendering. The only graphics cards I see, right now, are the 1Gb cards. And.....that's not much.
    garystan.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just about ALL 32bit software runs just fine on win10 64bit. In fact I highly doubt you could find any modern software that will not run on win10 64bit.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You might find something written 15y~20rs ago that would not run however any modern software works fine on a 64bit system. I still run UT2004 [14yrs old] on my win10 64bit system.
    Even quicken 2001 still runs fine on a 64bit system [I use it every day or almost every day]

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not think you have anything to worry about. This is from your program's site regarding system requirements. Note the 64bit.

Attached Files:

7. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

crjdriver :
    I agree with what you said. But, being the software is 32-it, that would knock down the accessible RAM to 3GB. Even on a 64-bit machine. The 64-bit machine, in this case would function in 32-bit mode. I plan to do 3D rendering. And, 99% of 3D rendering software IS 32-bit. That's where the disappointment comes in . Thanks. garystan

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. You are wrong. IF you read the pic I posted, 64bit is a requirement. Nothing is mentioned about supporting a 32bit operating system. Your program may support a 32bit operating system however it DOES support running 64bit. In short, purchase whatever video card you want. As I said, get one of the work station type cards.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  9. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

cjdriver :
    This is the part where I apologize. I WAS wrong. On Newegg, I was going over the parts for my build. First...an MSI Z370-A Pro, ATX Intel. Then.....the i7-8700 CPU. According to the specs, this CPU is 64-bit compatible ("it support 64-bit"). I take it that this means it WILL work with Windows 10 64-bit. Of course them RAM, etc..................I'm going to have to go with a new motherboard. The one I have...Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, I want to have it 'diagnosed'. I think the Ethernet Controller died (when I removed the NVidia card---when it died). Besides, if everything else checks out, I'm probably going to have to get another motherboard anyway. When I built my present system, I "went cheap". I installed an i3-3220 CPU (BIG mistake). I should've installed an i7 CPU. Now, the only way, if I decide to keep using this motherboard, is to get the i7-3770 CPU. But......I have to get it from China. And my bank won't approve an international purchase...especially from China. Not to mention the other mistakes I made when building this. Anyway.......................................garystan

10. 2twenty2

2twenty2

11. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

2twenty2 :
    I noticed the listing on Amazon. Unfortunately, if I order it through Amazon, it would still come from China. Probably because this CPU is SOOOOO old, no one in the U.S. carries it anymore. Much appreciation for your input. garystan

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sure, but you'd be paying Amazon so your bank wouldn't prevent the payment as that is what you mentioned.

That said, save a ton of money and get an i5 instead. An i7 isn't needed by the vast majority of users, there performance vs cost do not make sense. Alternatively for that kind of money you could just buy a new, or newer, motherboard and CPU.

Edit: Or buy it off eBay, much cheaper.

14. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice