Choosing the best free anti-virus programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

2Madre

Hi
I'm looking for the best FREE anti-virus program out there becuase my dad is paying way to much for Norton Internet security piece of crap. Let me know you thoughts and opinions

-Thanks

Free AVG is as good as they get for free.
Its as good as many paid ones as well.

I have an old version of NAV on my Win98se PC and would like to replace it with AVG. If I use Add/Remove programs will that get rid of everything I need to remove for NAV or do I also need to manually remove some parts of the software (like virus definition files etc)?

Avast is another good one. Can't really say which one is the best, I think its more important to get an AV that you like and then get to know it well and then (as said above) do the odd on-line scan just for piece of mind. Your own vigilance is still very important.

Surreal2, you may want to start a new thread on your Norton question. It get's fairly involved and you will need some serious help getting Norton to go away.

junker39 said:
Surreal2, you may want to start a new thread on your Norton question. It get's fairly involved and you will need some serious help getting Norton to go away.
That doesn't sound good. Many thanks Junker..if it's going to be a pain I'll have to leave it until I have some clear time, then I'll start another thread as you suggest....

Surreal2,

It is quite possible that Add/Remove will remove enough of NAV to allow you to install another AV (Symantec products seem to react most strongly to earlier versions of their own stuff!).

However, even if it seems to be gone, you will almost certainly be left with hundreds of obsolete Registry entries and assorted junk. Here's some light reading while you consider your options;http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Versions from 2004 onwards, or versions included in NIS or NSW, may need different treatment, with tools called Rnis, SymClean or SymNRT, depending on their age.

Couriant

James
Microsoft has their own one, which is very decent. Also you will need to look into a firewall too. Sygate seems to do what I want it to do.

Hi Togg - thanks. I have Nav V5 and the link you pointed to suggests Add/Remove will give the best result. However, it also says that if you use Rnav2003.exe it will not remove:

The files or registry keys for the virus definitions
Subscription information
Entries in the Task Scheduler
Other shared files

If I use Add/Remove will it get rid of these...and if so/not how will I know?

2Madre said:
Hi
I'm looking for the best FREE anti-virus program out there becuase my dad is paying way to much for Norton Internet security piece of crap. Let me know you thoughts and opinions
-Thanks
When it comes to choosing between competitive anti-virus products both free and paid, it is necessary to avoid industy and magazine reviews which are suspect. What is required is to find independent reviews against all competitors that is unbiased. On such review can be found at: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Click on the Comparatives link in the left-hand panel to look at the Feb 2005 review of both free (including AVG and Avast!) and paid anti-virus products. The May 2005 update may not render properly in Firefox, but is ok if the zip file is downloaded, extracted and the pdf file viewed.

-- Tom

Surreal2,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would guess that it's 'probably not'. You probably won't know about leftovers unless you start getting messages at bootup that Windows can't find some oddly named file.These things usually go away when you close them, but are very annoying until the useless entry is removed from the Registry..

If you are not installing a later Symantec product, Add/Remove might be all you need, as long as you don't get the funny error messages and are not bugged by the knowledge that you almost certainly have useless stuff left behind. I once saw a list of the file and Registry entries created by an install of one of the Symantec programs (can't remember which one) but there were hundreds of them.

Unless you fancy some manual Registry editing, (not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing), you could use one of the many Registry cleaning tools and then delete any leftover Symantec/Norton files or folders in Windows Explorer.

That normally isn't to be recommended but, as long as you don't have any other Symantec products that might share files, it should be OK. Then again, you could just remove it via Windows, like the KB article recommends, and, if no problems arise as a result, sit back and relax.

Thanks Togg..I removed NAV with Add/Remove and then used a couple of programs which found a few (not many) unnecessary registry entries and other odds and ends. I've removed them, added AVG and thus far no problems.

Cheers.

It doesn't matter which one you pick, I use Norton Antivirus and bought the 2005 version... just get a free one that work for you.(you could try the 'eni-meni-mini-mo' aproach if you can't decide).

I use a combination of the Microsoft antispyware and avast. It is doing a wonderful job for me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online