Choppy Gradient Displayed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RelaxedBatter

A friend of mine is having a bit of trouble seeing gradients on a new laptop - the model is an Aspire E5-523G.

The gradients seem to be choppy and cut off unappealingly, as shown here. It can more clearly be seen zoomed in and below the center of the image.

For reference, the image is supposed to look like this.

Is this a hardware problem, such as the display being faulty, or is it software like video drivers?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi RelaxedBatter, and welcome to TSG.

Have your friend check the Windows control panel for the video controller. The pixel depth should be 32 bits-per-pixel or better.

If that setting is correct, does the gradient problem only show up for web pages or also when viewing picture saved locally on the computer, or for certain games?

About a third of the way down on the following web page are three different resolution patterns in the "Smooth color gradation (Level of difficulty: Hard)" section. The 1280 × 800 dots version should work for testing with a web browser and also downloading and viewing locally.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/library/basics/difference_in_image_quality/

EDIT: Are your attached pictures taken of the screen with a phone or camera or they screen captures?

RelaxedBatter

Hi RelaxedBatter, and welcome to TSG.

Have your friend check the Windows control panel for the video controller. The pixel depth should be 32 bits-per-pixel or better.

If that setting is correct, does the gradient problem only show up for web pages or also when viewing picture saved locally on the computer, or for certain games?

About a third of the way down on the following web page are three different resolution patterns in the "Smooth color gradation (Level of difficulty: Hard)" section. The 1280 × 800 dots version should work for testing with a web browser and also downloading and viewing locally.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/library/basics/difference_in_image_quality/

EDIT: Are your attached pictures taken of the screen with a phone or camera or they screen captures?
Thanks for the suggestion, first I'll answer any of your questions I can:

The gradient problem occurs for everything displayed, although it's a bit hard to notice on moving images - you can tell both on browser images and local copies.
The first picture is taken via a smartphone camera, albeit with a bit bad lighting, but the problem is noticable. I'll try to get a better photo of it as well. The second picture is a screenshot from the computer in question, and the gradient problem cannot be seen. They've attempted to find the 'video controller' options, but to no avail - are they hardware-exclusive, or should most types of laptops include said options?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The smart phone picture is confusing me :D Maybe this'll help
Display the attached image then send back a screen shot.
I'm thinking a screen shot captures what is being sent to the monitor.
Then we should be able to compare back to the original.

The attached is the 64level 1920x12oo dots smooth color gradation image
from Chuck's Suggestion.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online