1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choppy graphics

Discussion in 'Games' started by MMMMTOASTY, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MMMMTOASTY

MMMMTOASTY Thread Starter

I keep getting choppy graphic performance while playing games (only online). I thought it was a problem with my router but I bought a new and better one and the problem still persists. The game that the choppy-ness occurs most is in Left 4 Dead 2. Here are my specs and some things I know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. It is not a heat problem/ I went into my computer and used a light vacuum cleaner with a soft brush to take off the dust in the heat sink and fans and made sure all my fans were working.

2. I do not know if I have what I need to run the game/ I went to http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/intro.aspx which is a website that detects if your pc has the stuff it needs to run the game, it says I have enough but im not sure if I need more since im using vista.

4. Maybe It's just me/ Here are some videos I ran while playing the game, I've seen on youtube that the graphics are exceptionally better compared to mine but maybe I'm being picky? Let me know.

5. Also I have adequate anti virus/spyware protection. I'm currently using Kaspersky internet security as my anti virus and malware bytes.

How the game should be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxel0hvQdis

My graphics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt7vo40zwxI - Mostly see the choppy-ness start at about the middle of the video
    This one is at the very end
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JzIHL7jtA&feature=player_embedded

2. oksteve

oksteve

Its more likely to be your ISP maybe even with contention issues.
    Try again when the net is quieter in your part of the world.
    Or contact them and ask whats going on

BTW good idea to post a video of your problems, makes things so much easier. I wish it were possible with most tech trouble:)

3. MMMMTOASTY

I guess it could be the ISP... would you suggest I try to replace the modem or upgrade my isp? I'm currently using comcast.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    You have cleaned out the inside of the machine but that doesn't mean it can't be heat related, what are you actual temps when running the game? I would suggest using HWMonitor as it records min, current and max temps.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

You say the performance problem is 'mostly' online, so you get the same problem with single player games aswell? If so, it is less likely to be your ISP or Internet.

5. oksteve

oksteve

You download speed seems to be erratic. Could be a faulty modem but more likely temporary local broadband issues.

Call Comcast and ask about BB in your area, telling them what has happened.

6. MMMMTOASTY

@Tanis
    I get 70C when the game gets the most frantic, I'm no computer expert but I think that's not that bad.
    And I would like to correct myself, I said mostly when I meant only, I do apologize for that, I'll edit it now.

@Oksteve
    This problem has been happening for about 3 months now so I don't think it's a temporary local problem. It may be the modem since I've had the same one for about 3-4 years now. I called comcast and they said that they would be willing to replace the modem if it is on the fritz. Since we're talking about internet so much I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add these in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. oksteve

oksteve

I know from my own experience with CODMW2 that when the online game kept skipping or have so much lag I'd get dropped as a host, of worse booted.
    That was due to a faulty modem, twice now. Virgin Media have replaced it without any trouble. So yes your getting high net speed but is it consistent throughout the day. To me those videos showed your not.

And another thing PLEEEEEZZZZZ don't vacuum out your precious machine. The dust and air pressure reduction produces static and we both know what that can do.
    If you have to remove dust please use an aerosol can of compressed air to blow the dust out and swept up away from the machine.

We don't want to see a post here from you,"I heard a crack from my computer when cleaning it now it don't work...HELP!!" :)

8. MMMMTOASTY

Thanks for the heads up on the vacuum thing. I'll try to replace my modem soon, if this solves the problem then thanks in advance.

9. MMMMTOASTY

I just replaced my modem and to make sure my router wasn't the problem i connected it directly to my pc, it helped the online performance slightly but the choppy graphics still persist. I tried lowering my graphics and I noticed a significant boost to performance, does this mean my graphic card or processor or something needs to be replaced? Thanks for all the help so far guys btw.

10. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

What the hell connection have you got there????? 156meg dl speed? Didnt know anyone made one that fast outside of Japan.

11. MMMMTOASTY

Idk, speedtest.net servers in Florida are odd, i was at 2 MBs for the majority of the test and then it rocketed up randomly at the last bit, im not even sure the download is 150+ MBs big. Anyways, anyone got any suggestions regarding my last post?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice