1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choppy & laggy play in some games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jayeff72, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jayeff72

Jayeff72 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I just hope someone can help me here. Here's my prob :

I've worked with PCs for like 15 years now so I know a bit but this stupid problems is having me go nuts.

In some games, especially NHL 2003, I get choppy/slow game play. Even if I play against the PC locally, I get a slow game. If I choose to play someone on-line well, of course, it's worst.

My PC is : AthlonXP 1900+, 512Mb DDR Ram, GeForce4 128Mb vid card, Microsoft SideWinder Plug & Play, ViewSonic 15" monitor.

Dont get me wrong I should'nt lag with a pc like that. My friend has a pc way under mine and the gaming is running super smooth. Even wiith MSN MEssenger running in the background.

I tried everything, from changing my entire pc, trying another gamepad, updating ALL my drivers, etc.. I dunno what it is.

The only things I did'nt touch nor changed are : The power switch where my pc is connected and my monitor. Could these be the problem ?

HELP !!!!!

2. Voodoo

Voodoo

Could it be that you have the game settings way to high for your computer? try taking them down a bit.

3. Swiper

Swiper

Sound should be set to hardware acceleration ( where necessary in game )
    Video card properties:

Vertical sync : Always OFF
    Anisotropic Filtering : OFF ( application ) ( this was a killer for me ) too high made me feel seasick watching the graphics LOL )
    Anitaliasing : APPLICATION

Turn off any unwanted/unused programs from running while playing such as IM programs / antivirus etc......

Let us know if this helps.
    If not, could be possible BIOS settings itself.
    Have games every played well on same computer??

4. GearType2

GearType2

he should be able to run with max settings easily with that game. I mean it's not exactly doom III we are talking here :).

Anyways, my educated opinion on it is that he has some hidden programs running in the background. Try running adaware or spybot search and destroy. I suggest ad aware from ahead before spybot, as spybot is a little anti-cookie.

Also have you defragged recently? Seems like a simple task that a lot of people forget to do over the years and well it just builds up.

5. Swiper

Swiper

Well, I have a slightly faster computer, more memory, probably around the same video card, and my card will NOT let me set anisotropic filtering.

HUGE , ENORMOUS amounts of lag. NOT playable/enjoyable at all.
    Highest settings within game is okay with me, but do NOT touch anisotropic filtering.....but of course, every computer, specs, are different.

I was only providing some tips.......

In any case, good luck!!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!