1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choppy Music Playback / No Sound At All

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jbhardman, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbhardman

jbhardman Thread Starter

I just installed Vista Ultimate. I personally made my PC and while it's not the most spectacular machine, it should do. However, I get choppy music playback no matter what Music software I use. I've tried WMP, iTunes, and Winamp. All are choppy.

My motherboard has onboard audio. Just basic, and Vista installed the AC' 97 Audio Codec for it, which is what is used in XP as well.

I also have an extra sound card that I installed. It's a C-Media PCI Audio device and the drivers for that were installed from Vista as well.

Whenever I set the C-Media card as default, I get music, but choppy. Whenever I set the onboard audio as default (and move my speakers plug), I don't get anything. Vista says it's working just fine, but I don't get anything.

I have 768 mb ram (with 1 gig readyboost drive). AMD Sempron 1.6 ghz. I have a Radeon 9200 SE Video Card (no areo, but works fine other than that).

My ratings in the performance monitor are:

Processor: 3.2
    Memory: 3.9
    Graphics: 1.9
    Gaming Graphics: 1.0
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.2

So, do I really need better hardware just to get a simple mp3 to playback smoothly, or could there be something else wrong here?

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

When you went with the onboard sound did you disable or uninstall the PCI Sound card drivers?

3. jbhardman

jbhardman Thread Starter

I tried disabling the other one, and uninstalling the drivers completely. The only thing I didn't do was completely remove the extra card from the computer itself.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I would reccomend double checking the card is disabled/ uninstalled and then install the OB again, or vice versa, you don't want the OS to get confused do you?

5. jbhardman

jbhardman Thread Starter

Yep, I've tried it again, and didn't seem to help. In device manager I've completely unistalled the onboard card and used the pci and it's choppy. Then I switch and unistall the pci card and reinstall the onboard card and I get no sound at all.

6. ratsrude

ratsrude

I had the same problem with a Gigabyte m/board running windows Xp.

I had to download nforce drivers from motherboard manf.
    You may have a different m/board brand but I think it may be you m/board drivers.

I hope this helps you

7. jbhardman

jbhardman Thread Starter

Well, I've looked for new drivers but with no luck. My motherboard is a Syntax brand. Their website is now just for the Olevia TV's. I searched and searched and searched for a driver site for their motherboards and got no where.

I have the cd that came with the motherboard, but it's for XP. I also have no problems when using XP. Right now I dual-boot XP and Vista just to make sure Vista works before I make the full switch. The only problem I have is this music thing...

8. MikieIII

MikieIII

Sorry I can't help you with the problem you mention, but you are not alone - I have the same problem here. I , too, have all updated drivers - no problem in XP, but Vista behaves just as you discribed. My drivers are from SoundMax Digital Integrated Audio. Vista Update indicates this is the best driver for the OS. Anyone have any ideas?

9. acetrike

acetrike

I am having the exact same problems using an ASUS P5B board. This is especially noticeable when I am playing WOW. The game and sound chop almost on an exact repeating 30 sec interval.

I think the best way to defeat this is going to be getting a card with vista support like the Creative cards.

http://www.radarsync.com/vista/ <-- Some drivers there

Also stolen from Tomshardware.com

Sound Cards

EGOSYS - ESI PRO
    * Wamirack 192 L/X (Only 32 Bit)
    * Waveterminal 192 X/L/M (Only 32 Bit)
    * [email protected] (Only 32 Bit)

NVIDIA
    * NVIDIA nForce MCP Audio Processing Unit (nForce2 Integrated Audio) (32 Bit)
    * NVIDIA nForce MCP Audio Processing Unit (nForce430/6100 Integrated Audio) (32 Bit)
    * NVIDIA nForce4 Sound Card (32 Bit) Version 4.64

RealTek
    * RealTek® High Definition Audio - ALC260, ALC262, ALC861, ALC880, ALC882, ALC883
    * RealTek® ALC850 AC'97 Audio Controller (32 Bit)
    * SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio (32 Bit)

Creative
    * Creative® Audigy (standard) (32 bit) (Beta drivers Only)
    * Creative® Audigy 2 (32 Bit & 64 Bit)
    * Creative® Audigy SE (32 Bit & 64 Bit)
    * Creative® SoundBlaster Live! Series. (32 Bit)
    * Creative® X-Fi XtremeMusic (32 Bit)
    * Creative® X-Fi Elite Pro

Echo
    * Echo® Indigo IO (32 Bit)
    * Echo® Indigo DJ (32 Bit)

C-Media
    * C-Media® CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device (32-bit)
    * CM9880/8CH Azalia Audio CODEC onboard (32 bit)

Intel
    * Intel® 8x0 AC97 (32 bit)
    * Intel® onboard Sigmatel HD Audio (32 and 64-bit)

MSI
    * MSI® Neo4 SLi Onboard Sound (CL 7.1) (32 Bit) Version 5.12.1.506

Terratec
    * DMX6Fire LT (32-bit)
    * Terratec® 5.1 Fun PCI (32bit)
    * Terratec® DMX 6Fire (32 Bit)

10. jbhardman

jbhardman Thread Starter

So do you think that if I get a decent vista supported sound card it will work without the choppy playback? I mean, I turn on the gadget that shows how much memory is being used and it says that I am only using about 60% of my system memory and the music is still choppy...

Would just a sound card fix the issue?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice