1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choppy streaming video

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kirpalsk, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirpalsk

kirpalsk Thread Starter

Hello,

my streaming video has been getting worse and worse. A couple weeks ago it started getting choppy occasionally, but it didn't happen every time. Now, it does - sometimes it will play well longer than others, but it always gets choppy and unwatchable by about 10 minutes in. Also, if I leave the window the player is in, the player very frequently will crash, whether it's Flash player or Divx.

I'm running Vista on a pretty old machine, any specs you need please let me know.

I cleared my browser history, and that really didn't help.

Thanks!

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You need to investigate the crashing. Typical streaming issues are network/ISP related. However, those issues will not cause the PC or apps to crash. So you need to investigate and find the cause of the crashing first.

3. kirpalsk

kirpalsk Thread Starter

Okay, pardon my ignorance, but how would I go about doing that?

Oh, and...GO 'NINERS!

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What exactly do you mean by "crash"? Is the player simply locking up? ...closing on its own? Check Windows Event Viewer to see if Windows is logging the "crash".

5. kirpalsk

kirpalsk Thread Starter

I have the player open in a browser window in Firefox, and it literally says "Sorry, the Adobe Flash (or whichever) Player has crashed. I've cleared my history and cookies, of course...

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you tried a different browser? If not, try IE.

7. kirpalsk

kirpalsk Thread Starter

Good idea, but it didn't work - I couldn't even get a player to work. And the pop-ups were ridiculous, but I think that's just because I never use it and the pop-up blocker sucks.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the "player" doesn't work in IE, then it's not installed or the wrong version is installed. As for popups, that will depend upon the site you are trying to use. Most (youtube for example) don't have a "ridiculous" amount of popups.

9. newtonis

newtonis

Is your Active flash player updated? If not update it first. I hope it works.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice